How good are recievers these days?

Hi Folks. I haven't been on here in years. I sort of fell out of the high end audio about 8-9 years ago. Need some advice

So long story short, i have a set of Magnepan MMGw's i use as my mains which replaced a damaged paif of Jmlab Chorus.. I had a Denon 3805 and planned to pick up an outboard amplifier to drive the speakers. A friend loaned me an amp which had serious issues and killed my Denon 3805, so my amp budget got raided to replace it with a used Denon 3806.

As it stands now, it does not sound horrible, but i now have a small budget for an amplifer. between 500-1000 and i had planned on getting something used.

I ran into an old friend when i was picking up a 4k LED TV this weekend who worked at Best Buy (i can already hear your eyes rolling) at thier magnolia center. He mentioned they did multimillion dollar installations, full high end audio, etc. Today i asked him if he had any recommendations for a good 2 channel amp that can handle a 4 ohm load.

His response suprised me, he recommended a Pioneer Elite SC-81 receiver.

He does this stuff for a living, I have been out of the audio hobby and not been paying attention for the better part of the last 10 years. This receiver sports the D3 digital amp, and it claims to be stable with a 4 ohm load.

How good are these digital amps? I remember Velodyne putting digital amps in thier subwoofers a long time ago, but i know nothing else about them. Can that actually push the Magnepan MMGw? or should i go back to looking at a second hand Parasound or even some Adcoms?

Thank you in advance!
slappy
If you can find a good used Luxman R117 receiver (real 160 watts/ch 8 ohms & stable to 2 ohms) it has an excellent amp and tuner and a good if not great pre-amp for about $300-400. Their M117 amp is also good to 2 ohms as is the receiver & runs $300-400. Most modern day receivers are just cheap crap. A really good integrated amp (no tuner) would be a Classe CAP151 (about $1000).
You will probably not like the D amps used in receivers. The old pioneer elite receivers such as the TXI 56 (on sale on ebay for ($250-300) will sound better & be more stable. However, I have maggies and get great sound out of the luxman. The Magnepan company used to run some of their speakers with Classe equipment. Either way, I'd opt for:
1)Classe CAP 151 $1000 integrated
2)luxman R117 ($300-400)receiver or lower powered R115 ($200)
3)McCormack DNA-1 amp ($700+) or Luxman M117 amp ($350-450)
4)older pioneer elite receiver (non HDMI) EXI 56,49 ...
I usa a Pioneer Elite SC72 in my 3.1 HT system. With a Canbridge BD650, I am amazed how good the sound is with CD, SACD, and DVD-A. I use def tech monitors and center channel and subwoofer. Upstairs, I run def tech ST 8080s in my main stereo system with Marantz 8004, Nuforce preamp, and B&K ref 220.2. --and much better cabling and ICs. Does the B&K beat the Pioneer? yes, but not by much. Not by much.
I usa a Pioneer Elite SC72 in my 3.1 HT system. With a Canbridge BD650, I am amazed how good the sound is with CD, SACD, and DVD-A. I use def tech monitors and center channel and subwoofer. Upstairs, I run def tech ST 8080s in my main stereo system with Marantz 8004, Nuforce preamp, and B&K ref 220.2. --and much better cabling and ICs. Does the B&K beat the Pioneer? yes, but not by much. Not by much.
12-30-14: Akg_ca
Three points to emphasize:

First 2 aren't supported with facts so can be eaisily diminished from equation.

2ch Receiver and integrated amp are practically same, except that receiver may or maynot have built-in tuner.
There is a HUGE list of receivers with unmatched built quality if compared to the today's designs. The only downside of most of them that they don't have capabilities to fit huge power supply needed for larger power into their chassis and therefore most of them averaging to 50wpc. Little Pioneer SX series, Sansui, Kenwood and other receivers of that vintage are specked out conservatively and do sound great.