companies that modify equipment...opinions

hi everyone, im wondering if anyone has opinions on these companies that do mods. this question popped in my head as i have been reading up on modwright sony 5400s/oppos.

i also see that vse (vacuum state electronics in switzerland for example) also does mods on the sony 5400 etc. i also came across some other companies(forgot names) that heavily mod cd players in the united states.

im wondering if anyone knows or has heard and compared performance from the same piece (front ends in particular) but modded by different companies... for example modwright tube mods vs vacuum state electronics level 7 mod on a sony 5400 etc.
what are your preferences and thoughts.

thanks
nineballg
"Since you named names, why dont you read the review of the AR DAC8."

I'll grant that digital is clearly not the forte of Audio Research. Not the first place I would look for the best nor best value digital solutions. I'm sure there are people quite happy with all AR electronics out there, including digital sources though.

As an owner of an ARC tube pre-amp, they can do tube amplification devices pretty well though I would say! :)
Mapman - Agreed, their amps are impressive. They are one of the companies that makes tubes sound as good as SS, only better. BTW, I have a customer with DAC8 that really likes it, but he told me you must only connect one digital source at a time, never two at once. If the reviewer had known this, it might have gotten a better review.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Mapman - you talk like the engineers at the larger high-end audio companies are gods and somehow know all. Could not be further from the truth. If these guys were really that good, particularly with digital design, they would have much better jobs in the computer industry and get stock options from Apple etc.. They would not be at small companies doing low-volume consumer audio.......

This perception that the manufacturers know what they are doing in every aspect of the design is a myth. There are a few really good designers out there however, but even they are not good at everything.....

I wish I could mark this up in neon and have it permanently attached at the top of every page.
Steve knows what he's talking about here folks.
There are a handful of truly brilliant designers in the industry. And, every once in awhile, the industry gets a little "lucky" when someone with experience that goes way beyond the needs of audio decides to contribute their unique skills. But even then, there are areas that can be improved in their designs.
But the idea that the worlds best engineers are designing audio equipment should be laid to rest. I understand how all of the marketing hype (B.S.) and the pricing on a lot of this gear would give that impression. But it just isn't true.
Yes, there are a few world class designers out there. But they are the exception, not the rule.

(by the way, we don't own anything made by Steve. We're just agreeing with him whole heartedly. Our own system was chosen first based on competent design principles and from designers who do have experience well beyond high end audio. And then it was modified with contributions from a variety of other professionals outside the audio industry but with expert knowledge in specific areas of interest to us.)