Do I really need a Dac?

I have an old Sony C801ES CD player that I still use. Some say that a DAC will improve the sound quite a bit of an old CD player. What do you say?
donplatt
Actually Rja the Sony sounds really good. I thought a Dac might improve the sound a little, especially when it is such an old CD player. Thanks for all the great responses.
I suspect you will be absolutely shocked how much improvement you will get from a $500 DAC.
Rok2id,

"No you don't. DAC's are just in the middle of their 15 minutes of fame. It will pass."

No offense, but you must be new to audio. Separate DAC's have been very popular in the high end for well over 20 years. Also, your comment, "It will pass", is not likely to happen. If anything, just the opposite is true. Due to all the new formats that have appeared in recent years, the need for a stand alone DAC has never been greater; if not for sound quality, for compatibility, if nothing else.

The upside to all this, is a better listening experience. You should try one and see if you don't agree that its money well spent. The cost of a good entry level unit is quite low.