Do I really need a Dac?

I have an old Sony C801ES CD player that I still use. Some say that a DAC will improve the sound quite a bit of an old CD player. What do you say?
donplatt

Showing 2 responses by zd542

Rok2id,

"No you don't. DAC's are just in the middle of their 15 minutes of fame. It will pass."

No offense, but you must be new to audio. Separate DAC's have been very popular in the high end for well over 20 years. Also, your comment, "It will pass", is not likely to happen. If anything, just the opposite is true. Due to all the new formats that have appeared in recent years, the need for a stand alone DAC has never been greater; if not for sound quality, for compatibility, if nothing else.

The upside to all this, is a better listening experience. You should try one and see if you don't agree that its money well spent. The cost of a good entry level unit is quite low.
Rok2id,

"No offense taken. No, I am not that new, I am just more into the music side of things as opposed to the gear. Sometimes I get confused and say things that on retrospect seem strange. I'm confused because, if you look at the most expensive systems on this site, owned by the most experienced audiophiles, they all seem to play LPs thru Tube amps. Silly me, I thought that was vintage stuff. But, on this site it's considered the highest-fi possible. So, you can understand why I assumed that all this digital stuff was just a passing fancy. That's one of the reasons I have three of everything. I expect any day to not to be able to buy 2 channel ss amps or cd players. DACS: I will get the oppo 103 when it comes out. That built in DAC should hold me for a few years. with Blu Ray and SACD as icing on the cake. However, your entire statement is correct.
Cheers"

I appreciate your honest response, but I'm not sure I get it. The part about you being into the music more than the gear I can relate to. Personally, I think its a great outlook in not letting the gear get in the way of you enjoying the music. I feel the same way. Where you loose me on your comments about the most experienced audiophiles playing records on tube gear and calling it vintage stuff. I'm pretty sure that you realize that most of the gear in question is current or late production models and not true vintage (old) products. I don't see why that would be an issue. You can make countless, similar comparisons, in many other industries. Take cars, for example. Most, if not all, of the core technologies used in autos have around for a very long time. Given that, I've never heard anyone call a car a vintage product unless it was really old. Same thing with audio. Current production models may be based on designs that have been around for a long time, but they have also evolved over time. Also, I don't see digital as a passing fad. If anything, just the opposite.

Anyway, audio is all about choices. I say pick the products that you like and to hell with anything else. Its your system and you don't have to justify anything to anyone.