Why CD players will never be dead

The main reason , there is just way to many CD's out there to end a format . Anyone want to take a guess how many ? The manufacturers are still putting there time and resources into developing new and better players , and people with servers seem to be spinning disc's more than ever .
tmsorosk
"These are great questions. More audiophiles should ask these.”

Some of us are so overwhelmed by just the jargon that we don’t feel we can put our questions into words. My whole life, I thought I was pretty smart and could learn anything... until computers.
I buy CDs and rip them to my server. I like having the physical medium and I can pick up used CDs cheap. Since there is no such thing as a used download, I'm unlikely to find an album in Redbook or better for a $1.
A CD is a digital storage medium. Digital storage mediums have and continue to change/advance with technology. I still buy CDs, but I literally never use my CD player to listen to them - I use them (CDs) as storage mediums!

To say that, they (the players) "will never be dead," is a bit short-sighted...Don't you think?
I may be the odd one out here. I like buying CDs. I like playing CDs on CD players. I like one box CD players. I like my CD players (Rega Apollo, Musical Fidelity CD Pre 24). It's pretty simple for me.

I have absolutely no interest in setting up and using a server for music. I work in technology, so I understand the science.

In addition, I have enough CDs that if I never purchased another CD, I would have enough listening material for the rest of my listening days. These days, my most anticipated CD purchases are the re-mastered classics. I use the net to discover new music and then buy the CD.

I have had an iPod since they were first introduced 8 or 9 years ago. I am at best indifferent and only use it when travelling, as I don't like loading it up. Not that it is hard, I just don't care for doing it. I own an iMac, so it's not a hardware thing.

Music is important to me. I have a playback medium that works for me and that's fine by me. There will always be CD players ... maybe not as many, but there will be some around.

Enough already with the CD is dead, CD is not dead, yada, yada, yada. It's boring already. It sounds too much like the SACD is dead crap.

Rich
Rar1,
You are not the only one about the server. I am in the same boat. Though I can play with computer registry and stuff like that, I love to spin the good old CD. Future might force us to take up a server, but for now we are good :-)