Are CD players dead

I went to an audiophile meeting today and the owner of the store said Cd's and cd players are dead. He said you need to start learning about computer audio or you will be left behind. Is what he is saying true?
taters
I suspect at some point we will see more downloadable content from amazon and others at CD Redbook resolution.

Practically though, the time involved to download even that much less high res album length content would not appeal to most. It will take some time to get to the point where bandwidth from homes to commercial sites is large enough to download those quantities of data quickly. So in teh meantime, CDs will continue to linger and serve a purpose, even if not necessarily thrive.
Again, bottom line is I think after 70 years or so of commercial recordings being available for sale, plus all the new emerging channels/sources of music, that the home audio/music market in most countries is essentially saturated and that growth from here forward will be slow in comparison to the past. But again, along with that, there is more music out there and available at all price points and quality levels than ever, so that is a good thing. We should really stop fretting and worrying about these things and just enjoy!!!! That is what I try to do.
I agree with Mapman's summation. As long as TT's are alive, CPD's will be as well. The abandonment of a particular format is one's personal decision. Don't fall off the turnip truck in attempt to jump on the next bandwagon!
Not trying to scare anyone. Just think that in your zeal to
put Ultimatum on CD Format, not stopping to think of
possible consequences. History shows the switching of Formats overlapping. This will be the first of deliberately creating a vacuum between the end of one Format, and the lack of the beginning of the next (certainly in area of Music selection). Don't know what the
hell is going to happen. Maybe you should be afraid of only
Format left for your New Music ends up being MP3! People are gonna go where the Music selection is-verrry risky!
Back in the 80's I couldn't afford a Nakamichi cassette deck. Now I have three of their best models. It's amazing what a few decades can do! I hope CD players die. When they do, I'll pick up that dcs Scarlatti for $10 at the
Goodwill store. Maybe I'll get an Accuphase too...yeah,
that's right, an Accuphase and a Wadia-maybe two each!