CD Ripping software

I am interested in ripping my CD collection to .WAV files. Not concerned about FLAC or other formats.

I know Windows Media Player will rip .WAV files from CD, but has anyone used dBpoweramp or EAC software instead? The rippers in this software have claimed advanced error detection strategies that I guess WIN MP does not have?

Would it not ber easier to pre-scan the CDs for C1/C2 errors in advance and use Win MP for simplicity?
dhl93449

If you want a bit perfect rip then you need to use either EAC or dBpoweramp. Either of these programs will also verify your rip using the accurip database so you know the rip is perfect. I prefer Eac myself. Windows Media Player will not give you a bit perfect rip. You don't want to rip a bunch of CDs and then have to start all over because the rips where not right.
Accuraterip is the best for extracting the data from the disk. The developer(s) who built it went the extra mile for perfect rips.

The problems I had before were skipping like sounds when playing back ripped content. That is now completely gone.

The skipping sound reproduced when ripping from Windows Media Player and iTunes (even with its option to fix the skips).

Choices of software that include Accuraterip:
http://www.accuraterip.com/software.htm
Exact Audio Copy is great. Songbook was a complete non-starter on my Mac Book (Lion os) and was very dissapointing.
I rip with WMP and it seems to work well as best I can tell by just listening.

Based on time to rip, it appears to re-read data as needed in the interest of sound quality in that rip times can vary widely. If a disk is in very bad shape it can take a long time to complete a rip and sometimes appears to retry indefinitely even if perhaps in vain.

Definitely no clearly audible artifacts 99.9% of the time.

On occasion, from older CDs I have burned myself, an occasional hiccop perhaps, but I suspect that is largely due to major errors in the source that cannot be filled in an inaudible manner completely.

Is there a way to test to confirm if the results of a rip to .wav is not bit perfect?

I've tried EAC. A beast of a program. Horribly designed and poorly documented though supposedly meticulous in regards to copy quality. Not for the faint of heart. It also appears to be quite old and unsupported really for quite some time though now. I can see why. You have to be a real audiophile computer geek (like me) to like it and even I do not. There's gotta be better! I'm not even sure it runs cleanly anymore on some versions of Windows. IT was quirkier than prior last time I tried it. PRobably due to lack of ongoing support to keep it up to date with OS changes, etc.
Was introduced to a free software today at work, Audacity. Seemed pretty comprehensive.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dave