1K dac

hi

actually I don't need an usb input as I will feed this dac with the coaxial out of a squeezebox touch.

I wouldn't mind going on a used one, even if it's really old.
the only thing that matters is the sound quality.

my budget covers everything under 1K$

I saw the ack dac 2.0, It doesn't seem to be very popular nowadays, but I found a lot of thread around 2005/2006, what do YOU think?

thanks for reading
corentin
customcoco
The Metrum Octave is superior to Ack Dac2 or Promitheus (not tube). I tried these also with an Audiophilleo2, but they are no match. Sound constricted and muddy in comparision.
I would strongly recommend the addition of a reclocking device, such as Audiophilleo (needs an USB input however). Maybe rather choose the Metrum Quatrum to stay under 1k.
hi sorry for the late reply, I just went through a busy period.

@B_mueller: have you tried the promitheus tubed?

as for now I have three choices: the minimax plus
the tubed promitheus and the octave.

as my current source is a computer an octave+ audiophilleo1 might be great
No, I do not know Promitheus tubed. With the same topology of the digital circuitry, I doubt it can match a Metrum. The state of the Promitheus company is not clear. People have been bitterly complaining about lack of response.
have you heard the minimax ? based on the reviews, I don't think that It will be that great for me.
The ess9018 Is said to be bright in the treble. as I mostly listen through headphones I wonder if that brightness could lead to harshness...
Check out the DACmini. Audio Advisor has a great return policy if you don't like it. I got mine directly from Centrance and its a keeper, for me.
There are a couple of great reviews on it over at PFO and 6moons.

Oh, and you'll come in $200 under your projected budget.