Cambridge Audio 751 BD or Oppo BDP95?

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare these two players? If so, what were your impressions. I want to buy one of these players but, i can only audition the Cambridge. Thanks for any feedback

Brian27b
brian27b
The 751 and 95 are different sounding only if you are using the DACS in the players. If you are doing you’re processing through a processor or receiver you will not hear the difference because you will be using the DACs inside the processors. I do run a 751 analogue out and bypass the processing in my processor. I choice the 751 because I prefer the Wolfson DACs over the Sabre DACs. The 95 uses the Sabre 9018 DAC and I personally find this DAC too analytical. This is just my opinion and some of my friends with the 95 prefer the 95. IMHO I would not personally use either unit as a source for music because they are average at best compared to some serious sources.
751 over oppo, two reasons:

1- 751 does not have a fan
2- I was not able to audition, see or touch the Oppo. Maybe it's just me but if I going to spend $1000, I want to hear and see it before buying.

My 751 is about 3 weeks old, and I am loving it. Mind you, it was a big step up from my previous player. But I can't compare it to the oppo since I never heard it.
Penguinhifi, so you kept the Dacmagic 3 weeks because it sounded really bad to your ears? Then you got a Sabre dac and it sounded ''amazing''? Hard to believe such a polarizing and OPPOsite experience on those two excellent products for the money. How about re-doing the test but this time without those home-brew speakers and lamp-cord cables?
I'm looking at either the Oppo BDP-95 or Cambridge Audio Azur players myself and the audio performance is the main criteria as apparently both have very similar video quality due to the platform they share.

This most recent review is the one I was waiting for and I'm sure will be useful to anyone else as it does include the direct comparison.

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/HiFi_News_May_2012.pdf
Thanks for sharing the link to the review. Not familiar with the Primare mentioned in the review, but at three or four times the cost, .... well. The Oppo sure looks good.