Oppo BDP-95 sounds GREAT?

Stereophile Sept.: Oppo‘s BDP-95, it plays everything and sounds great. Any experience with it? How great is „great“ in reality? Great comparable to Wadia, EMMlabs or Esoteric? Great enough for those „masterings“ which gave us monthly sonic revolutions the last 20 years? ,Great‘ to impress anybody who hates CD‘s and is forced listening to it?
The sonic truth between 0 and 1? I am looking for a CD Player. Where‘s the experiemce of this reference sound quality secret?
128x128syntax
I can't offer a specific suggestion on the below $100 limit but you could source 5 or 6 feet of power cable and the 2 end terminations and build your own (DIY) for under $100. It doesn't take but 20 minutes to build one and you have little invested to see if maybe just getting a larger gauge cable than the stock one provided gives you something beneficial. You can even go to HD or Lowes and get a 25 foot industrial grade (12 or 10 gauge) extension cord, lop off 6 feet and try it that way. I own the Oppo 95 and use a Shunyata cord (used price was well over $100) but I have used my own builds in the past that cost me less than $100 with good results.
Bought the Shunyata Venom 3 tonight. Looking forward to hearing it when it arrives.

I'm starting to come to some opinions on the 95; I assume it's close to burned in at 3 weeks.

On hi-res:

+: Tremendous soundstaging, & very nice tonally on male vocals.

- Not the best detailing, a bit bright (though at a bit higher frequency than most bright players; I'd sat the brightness starts at around 3 k), & very unforgiving of bad mastering.

I have a suspicion that when my finances improve, I'll be looking into the mod companies offerings.

On cd: Not as good as my 3x more expensive 90's system (Esoteric P-10->Illuminati->PS Audio SL3 but surprisingly close.

Video: tremendous picture into my old Sony 480o Wega CRY. Best dvd picture I've ever seen in my home

Performance/price ratio: Pretty amazing

I am aware it may still burn in a bit more; but since I', hearing what other users have also written, I suspect we're getting close. I do also plan to play a bit more with cabling; I've been using a set of 90's Tara Analog standard (the same brand & model of cable I use on my cd front end); but due to a repair I no longer am able to view the directionality of this specific cable.

I read somewhere that even using the HDMI for video (which I'm currently not) negatively impacts the sound. I hope that isn't true, as someday I'll likely buy a 21st century television!
Hi! did you set the FL/FR option( instead of down mix) out put in the Audio setup to take advantage of the Quad dac's (each stereo channel) for 2 channel playback ? You can use this for the dedicated rca stereo outs as well as the xlr's, also new cables would be a wise choice indeed rca/xlr and power cable. To bypass any video output use the pure direct button located near the top of the remote, it should take care of any video being out put during music play back.And just wait till your 95 hits 500+ hrs of playback before considering any mods!
Thank you much for the tips! I'll need to check on the FL/FR; all other settings are as you suggest.