Sony XA-5400es VS Oppo 83SE

I recently got an Oppo 83SE and played my first ever SACD today and I'am a convert.

Now I'am wondering if the Sony might be more musical than the Oppo,which I feel is quite a good Cd/SACD player.Right now looks like the last chance to get a new Sony before they diapear.But at twice the price of the Oppo does anyone feel this is an upgrade in musicallity? Anyone compared the two? Thanks in advance Gary
mystang
You can get the Sony for $1100. I thought the Oppo is $900
I have heard both. The Oppo is very good. The Sony is one of the best I have heard
Thank for the responses. I got my 83SE here for$710 but as of today Oppo is offering Referbished 83SE for $699 with 1 year warranty.Did not see that one comeing.
You should consider upgrading your Oppo 83SE with the Modwright Tube upgrade -$1,400. I had a standard 83SE and then bought a Modwright upgrade unit on Audiogon and then compared both units for about 1 week. The upgraded Tube Modwright 83SE is in a whole new category- it competes against any $4,000-$5,000 dollar player I have heard.
You might concider selling the Oppo and picking up the Sony. I'm not an expert, but I don't know how much you can recuperate on the Modwright upgrate when you go to sell it.
But, if you have lots of money, then it's up to you what to do. I try to buy stuff at a price that I can sell it and not take such a big hit.
Maybe Modwright upgrades can recupe a 100%. I don't know. If they recupe 75% or more it would be a good option.
Maybe Svrtim can chime in on the resale value of the Modwright upgrade.
But the Sony XA-5400 is one of the best CD players out there for anywhere close to it's price point.
The Sony lacks DVD, DVDA and Bluray playback if that's important to you. It is to me.