Sony XA-5400es VS Oppo 83SE

I recently got an Oppo 83SE and played my first ever SACD today and I'am a convert.

Now I'am wondering if the Sony might be more musical than the Oppo,which I feel is quite a good Cd/SACD player.Right now looks like the last chance to get a new Sony before they diapear.But at twice the price of the Oppo does anyone feel this is an upgrade in musicallity? Anyone compared the two? Thanks in advance Gary
mystang

Showing 7 responses by mystang

Thank for the responses. I got my 83SE here for$710 but as of today Oppo is offering Referbished 83SE for $699 with 1 year warranty.Did not see that one comeing.
I was thinking of selling the Oppo 83se and buying an Oppo 93.That way I would still have a great DVD/BR player and then getting a sony or? But ONLY if the general consensus was that it was a more musical player.
$500 new 93 plus $1200 new sony for a total of $1700 minus what I can get for my 83SE Now that Oppo is selling referb units for $699 means I woul get about $600? Or aproximateky $1100 more out of my pocket.

As far as the Mod Wright upgrade I have read it is very popular but I would rather not play with tubes,I have a Bat VK D5SE in my 2 CH Rig and thats all the tubes I want- long life and no tube rolling.
Also my budget is about $1500. If I had more to spend I would consider a used Marantz SA7 but not currently in my budget.
Levy03 I would be interested to hear back after your shoot out.

Zmanastronomy I think I will keep the 83SE and add a sony.I see American Theater is selling several now but I need to check and see if they are an Authorized Dealer otherwise no warranty.
Ordered a Sony today so I will get to do my own A/B.Not sure how long it will take to get here as I do not have a tracking# yet.

Thanks for all the input.

Mrtennis Yes American Theather is where I got it.But as Nwavesailor said there are other retailers who have them.Do a Google search as well as Here on Audiogon.
I have not recieved my tracking# yet for my Sony.But yesterday I got a pair of Gabriel Gold Rapture RCA interconnects I purchased used here on Agon.Prior to installing these I had a cheap pair of Monster RCA so was not sure how good my Oppo 83 SE could sound.But after several hours with the GGR my Oppo is sounding really GOOD.If the Sony with these cables sounds any better yet my BAT VK D5SE could soon be for sale.
Junghoon2989 My Oppo is in my HT rig and is connected to my Denon 4310CI and they both have only RCA connections. But I can put the Sony in my 2CH rig as it is all balanced XLR interconnects.

JP1208 My budget for IC is $500 the move up to GG Reflectios is not in my budget.I have only about 4 hours on th GG Raptures so not 100% sure these are keepers yet. If I put the Sony in my 2CH rig I can compare the GG Raptures with my Jena Labs Symphony XLR IC. From my brief listen to the GGR I think the Sony and the Jena Labs will add that extra touch of lushness to the midrange.I do plan on keepin the Oppo as my DVD/BR player.