Sony XA-5400es VS Oppo 83SE

I recently got an Oppo 83SE and played my first ever SACD today and I'am a convert.

Now I'am wondering if the Sony might be more musical than the Oppo,which I feel is quite a good Cd/SACD player.Right now looks like the last chance to get a new Sony before they diapear.But at twice the price of the Oppo does anyone feel this is an upgrade in musicallity? Anyone compared the two? Thanks in advance Gary
mystang

Showing 6 responses by zmanastronomy

A review here on AG stated that the RCA's sound better than the XLR's.
Which ever you use I would run it in on that output.
Rwwear.
That's a very good point.
If you have a HT and 2 channel in combination, the Oppo will surely fit the bill.
But, the Oppo will still not sound nearly as good as the Sony XA-5400 for CD's. The differance is not a small one.

Mystang.
The Oppo 83se will do your DVD's just fine without selling and going to the Oppo 93. That is if your still going to get the Sony.

Just trying to help.
John
The Sony will out perform the Oppo. I've heard them both in my system and the Sony is for the price as good as I've ever heard.
I'm not looking to buy another CD player because I'm giong to spend the money on a Burson DAC and use a cheap transport for CD's. I'm thinking of the future, computer music files that will sound as good or better than a CD.
But if I were looking for a CDP I would buy the Sony XA-5400. It's increadable.
My two cents worth.
John
You might concider selling the Oppo and picking up the Sony. I'm not an expert, but I don't know how much you can recuperate on the Modwright upgrate when you go to sell it.
But, if you have lots of money, then it's up to you what to do. I try to buy stuff at a price that I can sell it and not take such a big hit.
Maybe Modwright upgrades can recupe a 100%. I don't know. If they recupe 75% or more it would be a good option.
Maybe Svrtim can chime in on the resale value of the Modwright upgrade.
But the Sony XA-5400 is one of the best CD players out there for anywhere close to it's price point.
Good for you Mystang.
Be sure to let the Sony burn in before any critical comparisons.
I have a freind that is going to get the Burson DAC and use a less expencive transport. That will leave me in prime pecking order to get his Sony. Less than 6 months old and at a good price too.
I'll be going the DAC way sooner or later (more than likely later). But until then, I want to get my hands on the 5400.