Is this the END of DAYS for the high end CD player

Seem like this format days are numbered like the cassette and LP. Why would you want to spend 5k or 10k+ for a high-end CD player or DAC combo??

Just trying to see what other audiophile’s thoughts are and where you guys & gals may be planing for the future. Do you stop here at the high end CD player and this format or go completely too digital files?

I'm at a quandary about investing into an expensive CD player setup.
apachef1
Amen Blindjim,

When I go to burn my CD's using Pure Music ( I assume) can someone tell me what I choose for best sound - 16bit/44.1 ???

I am new so be easy on me.

Also, must I have a MAC laptop for best synergy and sound or will any laptop do?
In the New York Tri-state area . My friend and I used to relish a Sunday afternoon Hitting all the Mom & Pop CD stores looking for odds and ends and used CDs. NYCD,Sounds,Revolver,CD warehouse,Compact Disc World,Sounds,Joe's CD's,Rockin Rex,Etc.... ALL GONE !
and needless to say, HMV,Tower,FYE,gone ! we counted over 30 stores gone that sold CD's So the medium is going fast the way of the 45. PLAIN SHAME !

Grannyring, the computer is unlikely to have a big impact on sound quality as long as it meets certain minimum performance standards (though there are things you can do to make your computer "sound better"). So, yes, there are cheaper ways to go than the MacBook Pro. It doesn't even have to be a laptop -- I use a Mac Mini as my audio source, and then control it remotely through a laptop, but there are other remote options. You can also use Windows computers. I don't know much about them, but many people have good results with them. You may even be able to do a trial run with your current computer.

If you really are thinking of jumping in, and are new to the game, I'd suggest reading the computer audio set up instructions on some web sites (both Ayre and Wavelength have them, but they can be found elsewhere). When you have a better idea of what you want to do, post your intentions and questions on the PC audio forum here, or on a forum at Computer Audiophile -- you'll get lots of tips and suggestions from experienced users. Good luck!
I, too, lament the passing of the local record/CD shop. While ordering online is convenient and cheap, it just isn't as satisfying as browsing a really good record store. It's too bad the big chains came along and killed the local shops before dying themselves. If that hadn't happened, I think a lot more of the local shops would still be around. At least for a few more years.
Cbw723

I plan to buy a Mac mini, cheap laptop, and set-up a backup storage bank. My son will help me as he is well versed.

I will post a question on the Ayre vs other DAC's. I like a full, rich sound that is not at all fatiguing.

Thanks much.

Bill