Quality system, make poor recordings sound better?

I notice that as I move up the audio chain, poor CD recordings sound worse and the good ones sound superb, should this be the case? Also I on any given day my system sounds different even with the same CDs. Any thoughts on this as well?
phd
Some of my recordings became unlistenable. The well-recorded albums became so good that it was mind-blowing...and addictive.
Absolutely Whart, getting a very clear midrange that also is grain free, well, the only way is low distortion. And I agree, sins of omission, like not extending real high at the top end, easy to live with if the mids are right. So many "high end" speakers have harsh upper mids and a very clumsy transition to the tweeter, yet folks not their heads in unison because of the wonderful cabinets, great finishes, high prices, and big claims by the manufacturers.
"Absolutely Whart, getting a very clear midrange that also is grain free, well, the only way is low distortion. "

"Poor" recordings are often have a lot more energy in the midrange compared to "higher quality" more extended ones. So getting a handle on noise and distortion there is paramount. All the best most extended and dynamic recordings should benefit as well. Otherwise, something is not right.

Some "Poor" recordings with limited frequency extension might properly be viewed as good litmus tests, ie most music occurs in the midrange so good performance there goes a long way. Only once that is right does anyone have any business going for top performance with the rest.

I wonder often if many "lesser" recordings are perceived that way mainly because they are not perceived as as flashy as the best and most extended recordings. After all if the recording has a lot of bling to start with, its not so hard to deliver at least some of that. When the recording is fundamentally sound within limits,often in terms of high and/or low frequency content, or perhaps also even in terms of mono versus stereo, there is less "bling" so revealing this kind of diamond in the rough is not so easy. ITs all about low noise and distortion, and the midrange is where things will make or break initially usually well before all the rest of teh harder stuff. If it ain't good there, chances are it is not so good with the rest either.
I think, it is all emotional. After more than 20 years I listened to Rolling Stones "Paint It black" again and I was floored ...