Can even a Novice hear differences in Sound Qualit

Just wanted to relate an experience I recently had with a friend of mine. Those that have read my Threads before, have heard me wax enthusiastically about a DIANA KRALL-The Look of Love-DVD Audio Disk. The Recording has a Multi-Channel Surround Sound version Recorded in 24-bit/96 kHz. The Disk is being played through a Pioneer DV-58AV Universal Player, connected to a SpaceTechLab A-102 Vacuum Tube Headphone Amp, Driving a pair of Grado RS-1 Headphones. Only having 2-Channel capability, the Pioneer can Downmix the Multi-Channel version to two. A 65 year old friend of mind, not an Audiophile with limited hearing, was given a chance to listen to this Recording. His jaw had dropped to the floor. After listening for five minutes, he took the Headphones off and said "why don't they make all of them sound as good"? This Man was unimpressed with the multiple 2-Channel SACD/2-Channel Hi-Rez DVD-Audio Disks that he has heard on this Pioneer. The only thing that I can say is "out of the mouth of Babes...."! Sorry to keep harping on the point, but I believe that this is the only solution to the lack of Harmonic Content on all 2-Channel Digital Recordings, no matter the sampling rate. I also believe that it is the only solution to closing the gap of Harmonic Content between Analog and Digital, minus the ticks and pops. It would be a damn shame to lose it!
pettyofficer
In my experience, it is not getting a novice to notice a difference as it is getting them to care. My wife notices the difference, but it doesn't matter to her. Friends will notice the difference, but they are not interested in paying for the increased quality. What strikes me as odd is that the sames folks that tell me they won't spend the extra money for better audio go nuts over getting HDTVs and blu-ray players. I guess it is preferable to see a difference than hear one.
Yes, but only trained listeners seem to be able to advance their enjoyment of sound over time. As for the 'older' folk, they are fighting a drop off in hearing ability that makes it harder to appreciate 'difference'.
Novices who like music, are music listeners, and enjoy music are capable of telling the difference and can immediately appreciate high quality sound reproduction. But like any other hobby, as Sjpin similarly points out, it's one thing to know it exists to like it and another to pursue and engage in it.
I rarely have friends come over to just listen to music. I recently had some guys over for some beers and fired up the system. They ended up getting pretty absorbed. At one point my friend looked at me with something like wonder in his eyes, and said, "I'm not just hearing the sound of cymbals. I can hear that its a wood stick hitting a cymbal. Not that he is going to get immersed in the hobby, but he clearly heard the difference between a serious setup and every "stereo" he had ever heard.
I recently read a white paper on controlled blind listening tests in which the results were random with a panel of non-audiophile listeners under tightly controlled conditions. The results became meaningful with experienced listeners, and more so when experienced listeners were able to exercise personal control over A/B source switching at leisure. It would seem that above posters' points regarding interest level, level of experience, and level of psychological involvement, are all pertinent in decoding the subtleties of audio.