bel canto dac 3 cd 2 owners

hi, I have the cd2 transport dac 3 digital front end, and next week I am going to add the new vps power supply, which takes place of the power supply in both the cd2 and dac 3, has any one out there done this yet ? is it worth the money ? I know that better power supplies make about anything sound better, but this is a $2,000 upgrade so I hope its worth it ! thanks, chris
chrissain
Rich, this is a new bel canto product, not a mod. Bel canto does not have it on their website yet, but they will. I found out about it after talking with belcanto.
it is called the VBS , and is in its own box, it looks just like a ref1000 with the single blue led on the front, and brushed aluminum face plate . you can power up to three different bel canto products with it, but not the power amps. it converts the 120 v in to 12v out then connects the cd 2 dac three with two well made shielded 12 power cables that have locking connectors on them. the dac three needs a new 12v power board installed as well, but the cd already has 12v power in ,so its plug and play for it. It has so much storage capacity that I can unplug the VBS from the wall , and it still plays music without a hiccup, way cool. I will have more on the sound once I have some more time on it , thanks, Chris
Oh... I didn't realize that, I knew that you mentioned it was a separate box, however, I thought it was an after market mod, so I didn't want to see you throw money at a product that I already believed was using a very good power supply.

Rich
Thanks rich, I understand, there are lots of mod service companies to choose from, some know what they are doing, some don’t. And the dac 3 had a very good power supply, this is just better without question. And for what it costs, it should be, but if you have more than one piece of bel canto gear, such as I do, the cost gets split between the two. Making it more cost effective. So far I am very happy with what it’s doing sonically. Thanks, Chris
Ok its been about a week now , and i think its sounding even better than when I first got it. it will be interesting to put the belcanto front end up against some more expensive competition !!! chris
Now it’s been a while, the new Bel Canto VBS is nice and broken in. My friend came over for a shootout with his Dac 3 sans power supply upgrade. We set up the gear so we could do quick side by side comparisons between them. A long story short, the new VBS Dac 3 combo is much better than the stock Dac three, and by a substantial margin! Wider soundstage, better detail, more open,
You basically name it, it was better ! Great job Bel Canto , they came out with an upgrade that actually is an upgrade, and not just different sounding. If any one out there has the Dac 3, this is worth it.