Active Speakers Don't Sound Better

I just wanted to settle a debate that has often raged in A’gon about active vs. passive speakers with my own first hand experience. I’ve recently had the chance to complete a 3-way active center channel to match my 2-way passive speakers.

I can absolutely say that the active nature of the speaker did not make it sound better. Or worse. It has merged perfectly with my side speakers.

What I can say is that it was much easier to achieve all of the technical design parameters I had in mind and that the speakers have better off-axis dispersion as a result, so it is measurably slightly better than if I had done this as a passive center. Can I hear it? I don’t think so. I think it sounds the same.

From an absolute point of view, I could have probably achieved similar results with a passive speaker, but at the cost of many more crossover stages and components.  It was super easy to implement LR4 filters with the appropriate time delays, while if I had done this passively it would require not just the extra filter parts but all pass filters as well.  A major growth in part counts and crossover complexity I would never have attempted.  So it's not like the active crossover did any single thing I couldn't do passively, but putting it all together was so much easier using DSP that it made it worthwhile.

I can also state that as a builder it was such a positive experience that I may very well be done with making passive speakers from now on.

All the best,

Erik

erik_squires

@cey 

Now that's baloney! There are very high end speakers in addition to ATC that are active.

Active may have a higher ceiling when implemented well, I don’t know. The Dynaudio Focus xd towers I had for a while didn’t do it for me. 

@roxy54 of course there are, and my assertion doesnt remove that from the realm of posiibilities or experiences, nor is it incompatible with the reality of high end speakers with built-in amplification.

and still, you dont stick an amp inside a speaker to make it better. you do it so the customer doesnt have to bother with amps.  

"Green cars are better than blue cars."

Of course its all relative. There are pluses and minuses to just about everything. Dedicating on-board amplification to each driver is a potential benefit but the quality of those amplifiers must also be considered as well as the specific design.  ATC speakers have been mentioned, and both Grimm Audio and Kii Audio have  done fairly well using Class D amplifiers in their active designs.