Would changing to a MC solve my problem?

Not getting enough gain with my Hegel V10 phono stage. I have a MM cart at the moment. 

The question is this:

Would a MC cart with .4mV and phono stage with 66db of gain play louder than a MM with an output of 2.4mV and Gain of 46dB?
I'm sure there are calculators out there, but haven't found them yet. 

traudio

@traudioca 

Not a fan of your cartridge and I would recommend a LOMC of .5mv using 64 db gain on your V10 but don't throw in the towel just yet.  

Use the XLR out of your V10 in MM mode and you can get 50 db gain which should be perfect for your cart.  

If your amp does not accept XLR just buy a pair of Neutrik XLR to RCA adaptors,  i use them with no issue.  

I think lewm was referring to the V10.

I see. My apologies.

Avanti1960, that was one of the first things I tried. I have a set of Cardas adapters, but they made no difference in the volume. I'll have to check how they are wired because that should have worked.

Dear @lewm : The OP already has the answers to his questionsand some additional information for he can pull the trigger but instead of doing that he follows posting. Here what I said it:

he has the link calculator that noromance posted and that according those 46db/2.4mv gives: 478mv.

MC gives no more flexibility.

Buy the excellent Goldring 1042 MM that has 6.5mv on output level.

Puts in contact directly with Hegel and Soundsmith and explain it to them. "

Now, exist the possibility that the V10 is not achieving those 46db and exist the posibility too that its cartridge has not that nominal 2.4mv output level but a little lower.

But he said that with his former phono stage Phonomena the gain was no issue at all BUT ( always exist a " but " ) the Phonomena gain kind of desing permits

( either MC/MM cartridges. ) to change the gain between 40db to 66db in 4-5 swith positions/steps gain.This kind of designis a little unusual for aphono stage but even that Phenomena says in its owner instructions:

" Lower gains ( 40db and 46db. ) for MM cartridges or a HOMC with an output level of 2.0mv or higher. The OP cartridge has higher output.

So, it’s useless to continue this MONOLOGUE due that I agree with you:

" I think you aren’t paying attention and/ ......"

R.