Solid State Power Amps

I’m currently using 2 PrimaLuna EVO 400 power amps. I want to try my EVO 400 preamp with solid state power amps. I am considering the BHK 300, MC830, Accuphase 250 or 300 and the Pass X260.8. My budget is around 25k. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. If there is something else please recommend it. 

128x128sgordoxyz

curiousjim

I realize the BHK’s are hybrid. I think the tube input is a positive. The SS part I am wanting to experiment with is the output stage. The currant should be much better with solid state. 

My current combo is a JJ 243 tube preamp with 2 XA60 Pass Labs mono block amps. I love the sound they produce. 

Benchmark AHB2. They will shock you. Read the reviews and check it out! Good luck. Joe

@sgordoxyz Is there a reason you want to spend that kind of money? Just because you did does not mean the amps you get would actually sound better. There is something called the Veblen Effect, in which people will spend more under the illusion they are obtaining greater value, which obviously isn't the case.

High end audio is not drive by price, its driven by intention- how much (or how little) the designer wishes to present state of the art.

For example there are class D amps that are less expensive than the amps on your list that sound a lot more like music. So I would consider casting a wider net.

I’ve used McIntosh MC 611 600 W mono amps. I think a pair goes for 15,000.

In the solid state world these amplifiers perform extremely well. And amplifier is reliable.

If I was planning to spend more money I would definitely pursue a tube amplifier and I’m now using one but the 611 is very good

I would look at a VAC tube amplifier and maybe one from Conrad Johnson. I would definitely consider upgrading your pre-amplifier as I read up above. Spending $25,000 for an amplifier is pretty serious and it’s deserving of a higher level preamplifier

Have you considered buying a puppy?