Power Cables

Any recommendations for power cables under $500 for 

Streamers or DACs?

Please tell me your reasons for any you recommend. 
Thanks.

jfrmusic

I would look for used, typically available for half the original price. Pay attention to their purpose / construction. High current models are for amps… highly isolated noise reduction are for components. It is best to try before you buy.

I would look at mainstream brands. They have long track records and you can be sure of getting well thought out technology designed to make a difference that is highly reviewed. I recommend looking at AudioQuest, Transparent, Cardas, and DHLabs. AudioQuest Storm series has been a real leap forward in performance for that company. You can expect lower noise floors, usually more detail, and more dynamic presentation with good quality power cords from these companies. But as with all wires associated with audio equipment it will depend on your components and system as to the degree of improvement you will get and under certain circumstances they could sound worse. This has happened to me with not very good sounding solid state equipment. Adding higher resolution power cords to a noisy and/or distorted sounding component will make your system sound worse. In this case I highly recommend low cost Cardas as they are designed to be warm and forgiving.

I use Transparent power cords on all components of my main system except the amp where I use an AudioQuest Hurricane and a combination of WireWorld and DHLabs on my other systems. I have found the lower tier Shunyata, Cardas, WireWorld and some others to provide little or no improvement.. although most of my components come with very good quality power cords… although they are clearly bested by mid-range and better aftermarket power cords.

For some reason I am completely in the dark as to why, the same brand and level of power cord seems to have the same effect as the interconnect. 

Check out Wavetouch power cable (WTPC v2), if you are in pursuit of a perfect sound (= the original music). WTPC v2 in US Audio Mart.  Your system will sound one step closer to the original music. The price is well under your budget and 100% refund on return in 40 days.  

Click 14:38  = WTPC v2, This opens a YT window. Click time stamps in description for other PCs. Alex/WTA

@jfrmusic I would say the improvements on DAC and streamer are comparable. If you’re upgrading one power cord at a time I would start with the amp and work my way upstream. Similarly, if you’re doing only one power cord upgrade for digital I would place the best one on the DAC but as everything in this hobby, try and listen to what it did. 

First off, as suggested, I would definitely look into the used market as you'll get the most for your money.  Also, as suggested, I'd stick with name brand cables as they're tried and true, and in the future, if you decide to sell, they'll retain more value.  That said, you already know what's out there as far as the brands are concerned (and there's a million of them).  Now, you must experiment with multiple cables to the best of your ability in order the know 100% which cable is the right one for your system.  That's the only way.  Happy listening.      

johnto - "I think JB is saying don’t waste your money as a power chord is a power chord and will sound the same."

- I know what he said and I know you are saying the same thing. Neither answers the OP’s original question. All you both are doing is injecting your opinions when it was not asked for.