Dirty little secret of Pedigreed, decades old Speaker line - no one will address

For decades ever since it was first launched, all high end competitors have made major revisions to their midrange drivers. Yet YG Acoustics has done so - zero times. It still has the dubious, aluminum cone tech they first introduced.on day one. Their rationale for their supposedly superior construction has been completely rejected by all other companies who have neverconsidered considering imitating it.  They almost seem to be aspiring to copy Paradigm's entry level models (a co. that has ditched them for Beryillium on anything more premium). All while improving the frequency extremes only.  It certainly looks like they're endlessly, dead set on proclaiming it's somehow a feature & not a bug & eternally racing down this dead end. Their U.S. distributor has hired their sales director away to sell a competing brand they ALSO distribute, Vivid - that does have a far more sophisticated midrange driver & does it eve outsell YG.  In one of the distributor's online videos sent out free in their newsletter, the former YG sales guru, proclaims he has never felt nearly so engaged with the music - a clear knock to his old co. YG.  The owner, of said distributor standing right beside him, agreeing & not saying a word to disagree.  YG's response is to update the frequency extremes only, yet again & move down market to create a less expensive line. Even B&W replaced & updated their midrange driver tech, with their continuum. One of the strangest, most determined, longest running, self sabotaging mrkting decisions I've seen in high end audio. There must be the most peculiar, Why animating this but I can't imagine what it would be that remotely serves them.  Can you?

john1

I think the OP might be wrong (not to give this drive by any further thought), but I seem the recall the original Anat used Scanspeak drivers. Am I misremembering?

My apologies for not commenting earlier as I thought I would be getting emails that new comments were made & I didn’t. No personal axe to grind, just that some very promising technology is being left to rot on the vine. For no reason I can see. No other manufacturer anywhere following their lead in their mr drivers over decades is not somehow dismissable. I finally read what I always suspected from a reviewer in a major magazine that their mr drivers sound scratchy. As to where I get my info - its all there easily attainable in the public sphere. The distributor of YG, GTT sends out a newsletter with videos.  2 of which celebrated the long time sales director of YG leaving & him coming to work with GTT to sell it’s direct competitor, Vivid which does have a dramatically better mr technology.  Dick Diamond the SD & Bill Parish the owner of the the distributor of both & a retailer, standing side by side as DD flat out says he never has been so engaged by the music made by a speaker.  BP conspicuously stood up for YG, not at all. He has went on & on how Vivid is flying out the door.  On video.  You can’t make this stuff up. It’s all easy to see for oneself if you look through their backlog of videos.

Philosophically, I have a problem with major high end audio companies dropping the ball in obviously self sabotaging ways by failing to innovate - yet pretending to.

Just as I do from a somewhat different angle with Wilson, that has come out with nothing genuinely newish since the last iteration of their titanium tweeter in that series. I heard a Wilson Watt/puppy seven that to virtually anyone’s ears blew away a gen 2 Sasha with a silk dome, transparency wise.  One completely wired with Nordost Odin 2 throughout the entire system & Dagostino top of the line electronics at a show. They do nothing but pass down slight improvements from up above to correct problems (such as slightly rolled off high end prior to the V series). They change their cabinet materials constantly with no poof it does anything more beneficial by doing so. The first time they named a new model (The V series) after this unsubstantiated remixing does not bode well.  They will not let the XVX MR & tweeter into even the speaker below it in the range. I could go on. Magico, Rockport & many speakers with ceramic drivers show how it should be done. Marten Logan as well in many key respects. Wilson has lost a lot of their market share & no longer dominates the high end speaker market to nearly the same degree. Despite their massive advertising & ensuring their speakers are irresistibly priced for reviewers.  It's not hard to see why they're losing market share.

I ranted a slot about Krell on AG when it was so obviously degraded by its investment firm owners. Someone from Krell entered the forum discussion to say he agreed but since they walked away (they could not suck any more money from the firm) they had radically redesigned their product to be what it should’ve been & they are indeed now far more respected.

A lot of AG forum contributors are so bright they feel they can get away with beautifully reasoned but too theoretical opinion, that may sound like it OUGHT to be convincing if left unexamined. I try very hard not to do so & to stick to fact where the evidence is more then clear.

While we are at it, let’s discuss how little has been done in quite a while to innovate and improve violins, acoustic guitars, and the hockey puck.  Surely, new and better materials are available—beryllium has to be better than maple.

How do you know any one approach is inherently superior and that approach is the latest invention?  It is simplistic to assume one aspect, like the material chosen for a midrange, is superior in all aspects of performance and that a driver employing that design choice would be best in all systems.  

This also assumes that there is a consensus on what sounds good.  It is clear we don’t all agree which is why there are many choices out there.  For what I like, I have not found one aspect of design that always sounds superior.  It is not simply a matter of picking the latest technology, or something that measures well, or any other indicia; it comes down to hearing the gear.

Magico, Rockport & many speakers with ceramic drivers show how it should be done.

A lot of AG forum contributors are so bright they feel they can get away with beautifully reasoned but too theoretical opinion, that may sound like it OUGHT to be convincing if left unexamined. I try very hard not to do so & to stick to fact where the evidence is more then clear.

Really? This is funny cause neither Rockport or Magico use ceramic drivers. So much for sticking to facts. I’ll use a phrase an IT buddy used to use when dealing with a clueless client — “We’re working with about 100 megabytes of RAM here.” Two words of advice:

1 - Get some writing lessons.

2 - Get a life.

Peace out.