Benchmark DAC1 Pre - anybody heard a mod?

I have a Benchmark DAC1 Pre that I am fairly happy with. I have seen and read several posts from people offering modifications to the DAC1 that apparently increase warmth, resolution and imaging. Does anybody own a modified DAC1 or DAC1 pre that has been modified? What were the modifications, costs and sonic improvements? Your advice will help me decide if this is the right decision for me.

Thanks
beatster
The RCA outputs on the Benchmark are fine. I'm not familiar with Audio Space, but don't go by that, I do like the CAT a lot though.

I'm not sure of your budget, however, I would also like to add; VTL 5.5, Atma-Sphere MP-3, Joule Electra LA150, Aesthetix Saturn Calypso, PrimaLuna ProLogue3, and Rogue Audio Metis to your list. Some are more costly than others, but at least this list will give you a good starting point.

I haven't listened to many of these, but they have all received wonderful accolades and awards from TAS and Stereophile alike.

Rich
I have the benhmark and once I upgraded cables & power cords (tara labs the one rca & shunyata python Vx Alpha Helix PC) and set all on a symposium shelf (w/nordost digital cable from digital source) the sound is awesome. The cables made a huge difference in my system (solid state/electrostatics so pretty critical, unforgiving and revealing and not clinical at all).

Only upgrade path I would take is the Berkley-maybe the new PS Audio but not sure the PS would be a large enough improvement for me.
Cerrot - what changed from power cable on Benchmark alone? I'm planning to put power conditioner (Furman 20PFi) and very short power cable (Belden 83803) to Benchmark.
I have an upgraded Zu Audio Bok power cable on my Benchmark, and it basically lowers the noise floor, and provides for a clearer, cleaner presentation which is really cool, so the notes sound like they are more isolated projecting out of a darker background. I'm not using any power conditioning though.

Rich
Richlane - Thank you. It sounds very clear on my system with stock power cable but exact location of notes/instruments is a little fuzzy. I will try conditioner and/or different cables.