40+ watts SET, cost is not a problem

Friends,

Hope everyone is well here. I am visiting after a long time. I have a query on behalf of a close buddy of mine. He is using a pair of TAD CR1x loudspeakers. Gorgeous speakers for sure. The source is an EMT 927 TT & JPA66 preamp. For the amplification things are getting tricky. He has tried the TAD M700s reference power amp and while it sounds very controlled, it doesn't have the openness and dimensionality of tone that a good tube/SET amp provides. We are considering trying a good SET for this system. Given that TAD needs some power blossom well and expand on effortlessly, at least 40 watts of SET power would be needed. The quick choices are Kondo Kagura & Wavac HE833 Mk2. But I need more suggestions on these and other comparative products.

1. Has anyone heard the Kondo and Wavac gears to suggest a comparison? I am just a bit worried on the amount of Silver used in Kondo. I have normally found that silver takes away something from the flow and harmonics. Tell me more about it.

2. What other options can be considered in this realm? No SS please. Looking for SET options primarily.

Room size is moderate 17 x 13 feet. Music preferred are classic rock, jazz, pop and some classical

pani

@pani

Ralph does make an interesting point. Most tube push pull amplifies are class A/B with NFB. So a pure class A zero NFB PP topology could be a potentially wonderful option with the TAD speakers.

Charles

There is no such thing ,a true 300 B SET is roughly 8 watts with big quality transformers and chokes ,you can run in pure class A using 4 tubes around 18 wpc 

thats it .. look up Radu Tarta he builds by hand 1 at a time as well as DHT preamps. I have bought from him several products all far better then commercials 

products and prices much better ,without the high markup.

Have you tried any other set amps with the TAD’s just to make sure that you actually need 40watts of SET? Sustained and peak current delivery kinda rules all in most of these equations, provided the ps is sufficiently healthy.

But yeah, 1 ohm dips can be a real beatch for amps not rated for it.

@audioman58

I have owned a 300b SET for 15 years and simply love it. However any DHT can be utilized in a SET amplifier. 2A3, 45, 211,805,GM70 etc. SET is not limited to300b.

Charles

Charles dad any 40 watt amp is not a true  SET it is considered A2 - 2 stage class ,

which still can sound good but not as clean Very high voltages up to 1500 volts..