Sad news - Jay sold his new Rockport Lyra speakers

Just released, after five months of mystery, new speakers that replaced the Wilson chronosonic $350 mil speakers, that were announced with all kinds of fanfare just a few weeks ago are on their way out.

So the $200,000 Rockport lyras, we learn in a dramatic and solemn 90 minute video, were not acceptable so they had to go.

Not everyone has a forum that allows disposal of speakers as does Jay. How incredibly difficult it must be for anyone to make such a serious investment and then be disappointed. And the rest of us who didn’t buy the speakers at a discount will somehow come to terms with a $50-$80,000 loss and that’s just downright depressing.

How does one buy speakers in the vast six digits range? And then how difficult it must be to admit to yourself, and then to your wife, that you’re unhappy. And then how does one muster the courage to go on and purchase another incredibly expensive speaker. Personally I found buying every audio component incredibly annoying and challenging yet you carry on hoping the prize at the end of the unpleasant journey Will be worth it.

Personally I think all the time about upgrading my speaker and then when I see things like this I’m at a loss as to what to do. These types of miserable experiences should be Hidden from public view as it impacts all of us. It’ll be a while before I get over this, maybe I should begin focussing on my thoughts to upgrade my pre-amplifier or replace tubes on my amplifier. Or maybe I should just learn to be satisfied with what I have.

emergingsoul

Jay's show is Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous ...

His listening room looks like a garage.

The cement foundation he has under his listening space can’t be the greatest. He had a problem with an amplifier that had to be returned because the speakers he had could not be biamplified.

I don’t understand why he begs for people to like his videos so much. Yes he may get a few thousand views but it takes in excess of 100,000 views to get anything meaningful paid from YouTube. He’s not making any money from YouTube and maybe he makes his money by charging fees to all those people who sign up for private messaging. Or maybe he gets a lot of money from speaker manufacturers which is hard to believe. I don’t follow the business logic of what he’s trying to do. He works really hard but can be misleading at times. I think after getting rid of the last speaker his credibility is unclear.

It’s fascinating and even more fascinating to read the comments he gets. I learn a lot by reading comments as there’s a lot of people out there who really know what they’re doing.

@emergingsoul 

You do realize that Jay had one of, if not the, most popular threads in Audiogon history?

And lots of supporters for all his efforts, no matter how they turn out.

Clearly you have taken a personal interest in denigrating him.  

Whatever we may think about his reviews and knowledge...

For me Jay is honest as are the most honest reviewers... Many are honest...

I say that even if i am not interested by high end very costly products for myself...

We cannot ask to a reviewer what we can ask from a long term user of a product .Reviewers must sell at the end of the day with + or - honesty...We must read here between their lines...

Consumers buy and plug ..

Audiophiles modify,optimize,tweaks and learn acoustics once synergy is reached and do all there is to do to make upgrading not so much tempting and necessary ....

I dont need to listen to my gear anymore because i listen music now... Thanks acoustics basic... 😊

One thing hard to understand: Why it should be "SAD" to sell speaker when one actually should be HAPPY??

General rule of thumb, you should be happy the day you buy and same happy the day you sell

Correct me if I'm wrong.