Stuff You Tried To Love

I know we talk a lot about confirmation bias- we buy something and then convince ourselves we like it. Or something like that. But did you ever buy something you wanted to love and just couldn’t make it work? For me, Esoteric X-05 SACD/CD player. Bought from a local who was upgrading to the X-03. Big, beautiful piece of gear, but I couldn’t get used to the sound after 6 months of trying. Sold it to another local- I insisted he listen before he bought and I believe he sold it soon after as well. Totem Forest and Hawk. I loved the whole concept. Slim, easy to live with. Couldn’t get them to work in my room. The Model Ones were much better. I had a couple of other pieces, but this is long enough. BTW, these were bought used without audition.

chayro

@sokogear

If you don’t like Miles you don’t like jazz, and that’s OK.

Jazz comprises more than 50% of my listening and at times has comprised a much greater proportion since I first began exploring it in the mid 70’s. There are numerous Jazz luminaries and genres missing from my collection because they simply don’t engage me. I’m not a scholar. I’m a music lover and I listen to what pleases me.

RE: Miles, the Second Great Quintet and its predecessor with George Coleman constituted "desert island" recordings for me. I own none of the recordings by the earlier Quintet with Coltrane.

No Chet Baker. No Ella. No Ellington. No Armstrong. No B. Holiday. No Basie. No Dolphy. Gee, I must really hate Jazz!  Actually,I  don’t hate any of the above. There are simply other Jazz artists to whom I’d rather listen.

knock1

151 posts

@benanders enlighten us then, how confirmation bias work.

@knock1 hi, who is “us”? I don’t recall communicating with you before. If you have a question or counterpoint, all good. But if your comment’s an invitation for me to type up general info on a matter that’s already covered abundantly elsewhere, I’ll respectfully pass. 

Bryston amps. Dry, sterile, flat, then least musical components I have ever suffered through hearing. McIntosh anything. Just don't like the "house sound" of the big M. Obviously this is subjective.

Great post!

We cannot love everything ...

We are defined by our love... Nevermind the rest of which we are indifferent...

I love so passionnately some musicians and composers all the others can be put way behind the scene for me... It does not means they are not great... They are for some others people...

«Love is more merciless than an executioner who kill at least according to a law»-- Groucho Marx🤓

No Chet Baker. No Ella. No Ellington. No Armstrong. No B. Holiday. No Basie. No Dolphy. Gee, I must really hate Jazz! Actually,I don’t hate any of the above. There are simply other Jazz artists to whom I’d rather listen.

@knock1 - I guess I should have said if you don't like Kind of Blue, you don't enjoy listening to jazz. You are equating not liking it to disliking it. There is a difference.