Yamaha GT-2000 from Japan or local TD-125?

(Cross posted)

Im wondering if anyone has ordered one off Ebay.  The Japanese websites seem pretty legit. I’m really sold on these, I’d say it’s my dream table for now.

Also have a chance to pick up a fully serviced Thorens TD-125 with an SME 3009 locally.  Arm was rewired, but have not been quoted a price since the seller wants to wait until the work is complete.  I’m guessing around the same as  GT2000, likely low to mid 1k’s

Any constructive thoughts are much appreciated.

brecchi

Dear @brecchi  : You not even have to ask due that the GT 2000 is ione of the great Japanese TT's ever.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

Yamaha GT-2000 on thevintageknob.org

I myself expressed a keen interest in the Japanese Market for DD TT's of which the GT 2000 was on my list, they were commonly seen and always from sale images looking in very nice condition.

I have duplicate and triplicate TT's of the models I did import , and no longer regret not importing the GT 2000 for Bearing Modifications, other Modifications, to be followed by non-modded / modded GT2000 Demo's.

I would recommend the 2000X but this will be towards $2.5K+. During my time of importing these were $800-$1500 purchases. 

As a design, it is safe to say the GT 2000 is the Godfather of the Kaneda designs seen today, where the Motor Drive/Stator is directly attached to the structure that is now a Plinth-Chassis. (Can't but help think Panzerholz will night and day transform for the better, the original Plinth - Chassis)

Also, if you become an owner, do know there are Phosphor Bronze Platters to be found for sale and a YOP-1 standalone PS and a Phosphor Bronze Vacuum Platter Mat YDS-1.   

If I did purchase, I do know as a sale item in the UK, I will have made substantial appreciation, if I could let go of being a hoarder and cleared out.

A friend has been a die hard user of BD TT's until a few years ago. They owned a substantially (Linn Spec' upgraded) Linn LP12 and a substantially modified TD 125.

One experience of a substantially modified (Bearing Assembly - Speed Stability) DD TT which was loaned, to be used on their system, was the influence instrumental in the individual replacing their BD TT's with a SP10 R.   

DD TT's do have their admirers and advocates.

"SME 3009 II, non-improved. Removable head shell"

That's what I have been using for the past 20+ years and it is a good arm in stock form, but better internal wiring is a plus.

Not familiar with the GT-2000.

DeKay

I believe the 3009 is in the process of being rewired now.

Also, I’m having a ton of trouble posting a pic.  Mainly because I cant figure out hoq to get a URL I think.

Pindac, thanks for the response.  A few thoughts:

- Its sounds like you are a big fan of the GT-2000, but decided to go with some other tables.   I am curious as to what they are, and why you decided against the Yamaha.  You mentioned something about bearing modifications and other mods, but I'm not really sure what you mean.

-GT 2000X would be nice, but out of my price range for now.  A GT-2000 is more realistic for me in the 1400-1500 range without cartridge. 

-I am aware of the upgrades available that you mentioned.  The platter is insanely expensive.  The YOP is around 1k and I haven;t found the vacuum platter mat anywhere, and I'm not really sure what it does.  Lets not also forget that huge iron base which is another add on.

-Regarding BD vs DD, when it comes to a higher end vintage turntable, I think I could be happy with either.  Especially with the Yamaha.