Moving into an apartment with wood joist floors - worried about neighbors hearing

Hey all,

So during the pandemic I bought a pair of very Manhattan-unfriendly Egglestonworks Kivas. They sound amazing! 

However I recently decided to move and found an amazing old loft. While signing the lease I saw a bunch of language about noise and playing music loud - and now I’m starting to wonder if I’ve made a huge mistake.

I’ve lived in places with concrete floors the last 15 years, so i didn’t even think about it when taking the place, but this old building has wood joist floors. 

While I don’t listen loud - I’ve always been a low- to medium-volume listener - I’m worried that even then the Kiva’s will have too much bass energy.

The opposite pressure is that the room is huge with high ceilings. So in a vacuum, the Kiva’s would be the perfect speaker for the space.

The way I see it I have two options:

1) Try to move in with the Kiva’s and do everything I can to contain their energy (bass traps / panels / thick rugs / Isoacoustics Gaia pucks - some of which I already have). If there are complaints, then get different speakers or use equalization to lower the bass on my digital sources (not an option for vinyl though)

Or:

2) Get different speakers proactively. If I do this, I could consider a pair of bookshelf speakers with limited LF (SF Amati’s or those WIlson bookshelves?)

Anyone have any experience with this? If I go route #2, what about planar ribbon speakers like Maggie 3.7? Seems like the dispersion on them might solve a lot of the problem here, but not sure if they’ll still resonate the floor.

hudsonhawk

Though I am a Townshend fan, I think putting speakers on springs defeats the way they work. Instead, using a solid granite plinth would be my recommendation.

It will give the speaker a solid foundation to output sound. The lower notes will be directed toward you not downward.

You can find machine plates on Amazon for a reasonable price. I use them.

Bob

@deep_333 I hear you on dogs barking. Their owners don’t care about how their pesky dogs disrupt the neighborhood. Frankly, I don't understand the right to make noise. It should be the right to quiet.

His lousy dogs barked all day long like cracked mofos and that never bothered him (it wasn’t loud at all for him!)...it was the faintest hint of music that got to that psychotic individual somehow

@deep_333 For my work and quality of life I have to live in Manhattan. My stereo is nice but not enough to translate into a down payment on much more than a closet here.

I live in old Victorian tenement 1880 so high 3.6m ceilings and wooden floors - I use isoacoustic feet under my large tannoys - I don’t want to put anything on ceiling as plastered ceiling rose and high elaborate cornice …. But I have 3x rugs layered on top of each other in front of speakers before listening sofa (about 5/6cm) I also have room treatment on side and rear. Even playing loud and sitting barefoot I feel nothing under feet and neighbours are happy. But I’m friendly with them as well so they can message if I’m a bit loud or late …. And I pre warn if I’m having a party 🎉