directional speakers

I just bought a Bacch4Mac bundle and am thinking of upgrading speakers.  Theoretica recommends speakers that are more rather than less directional.  I currently have Spendor S3/5r2 speakers.  No complaints at all, but I've thought of upgrading to Harbeth 30.2, Graham/Chartwell LS/6 or maybe Fritz Carrera BE.  Love the BBC mid-range, but I have no idea of how to find speakers with a tight rather than broad sweet spot.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Ag insider logo xs@2xtreepmeyer

I have owned both. I preferred the non XD! BTW, since you are going to use a larger room the HL5 is the Harbeth I would suggest. I like them so much better than the M30! My buddy owns the M30.1 and loves them. FYI: I have owned every Harbeth minus the M40. I have also owned many Spendors including floorstanders!

@paradisecom I've actually never heard ML's but will be sure to stop by their room at Axpona.  Thanks for the recommendation.

@yogiboy Interestingly, the advice I got on the Spendor user's forum is to look into the Graham Chartwell LS6.  If I stayed in the Spendor line what would you suggest, one of the Classics?

The LS6 is rear ported so placement would be critical. How close to the rear wall will the speakers be placed and what is your budget? I can only recommend a speaker that I have owned. I have never owned any Spendor from the classic line!

If you want directional, and you are going with Mc, the Fritz with the top end ring radiators are the way to go. They sound better than their Be counterparts and the ring radiator construction naturally produces a narrow dispersion pattern.

@treepmeyer, did Theoretica give you any specific recommendations or general guidelines? Did they tell you why they recommend speakers that are "more rather than less directional"? My guess is that they want to minimize early lateral reflections, but I could be wrong.

Ime speaker designs with radiation patterns narrow enough to significantly minimize early lateral reflections tend to have non-mainstream configurations, for instance front-firing horns paired with fairly large-diameter midwoofers (JBL comes to mind).

Duke