Cartridge Change Overhang Difference-Fixed Headshell

I’m using a SME fixed headshell arm and an Art9 cartridge that was mounted with a Yip mint protractor. The Art9 mid hole to tip distance is 11mm. A new Art20 is stated as being 10.5mm. Opinions wanted as to use same protractor or not or Estimate the 0.5mm and shorten the arm, pivot distance. Note, this is not about the $130.  That difference of 0.5mm would change the intended null points (Baerwald) and/or ultimately affect the sound in general shifting the distortion to slightly different points on the record? Thanks

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xbigwave1

The YIP is designed for the tonearm, not the cartridge, so far as I know, which is not much because I have never ordered one. In any case, just adjust for the 0.5mm, if you think you can. I personally don’t think most of us can mount a cartridge with better than 0.5mm accuracy, which means you have about a 50-50 chance of perfection. After that, pour yourself a cool one and listen to music. And if that doesn’t relax you, consider that even a minute error in the zenith angle of the stylus throws off your alignment by far more than 0.5mm and that most cartridges have at least some zenith error built into them.

("Zenith" here is defined as the angle of the base of the stylus tip with respect to the cantilever, which is NOT the conventional definition of zenith. If you examine the stylus tip with the cartridge lying on its back, stylus facing up, you can quickly see how the shank needs to be square to the long axis of the cantilever.)

Perhaps I'm being thick, but if there is a difference in stylus placement once the two cartridges are mounted on your SME arm, don't you deal with that by sliding the arm in its base? The protractor used simply means you end up with the same geometry after you have done all that.

Dear @bigwave1  :  You don't have to worry about because that very small distance what it can makes is that instead to have Löfgren A set up you will have Löfgren B that several audioiphiles prefer over A ( Baerwald ).

Btw, very nice room/system you own. Congratulations.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

The Mint LP target is specific to the pivot to spindle distance. Since that distance hasn’t changed, use the target. If long or short of the target, be aware that the Mint’s null points and their alignment grids  will no longer apply.