Thinking about switching cartridges.

I have a 2 year old Rega P-10. I'm thinking about switching out the Aphelion 2 for a Hana Red. Is this a waste of money? Your thoughts. Thanks in advance. 

marshinski15

My experience with Rega, limited to mid and lower TT's, suggests a lack of cartridge alignment capabilities. Not just Rega, but make sure the replacement cartridge geometry is compatible....     just saying.

Dear @mijostyn  " I'm sure your Excel cartridge is excellent, but that is an anecdote. I have seen all sorts of defective styluses and mountings coming from very reputable companies. "

First it's not an anecdote Excel quality whole levels as are not anectdotic vintage cartridges coming from still today top cartridge designers/manufacturers and I'm not ( as you ) talking only about the quality of the stylus tip but the overall very high quality level performance that many times are not only a challenge for the MSL you owned but that beats several today top LOMC/MM/MI cartrridges.

The issue is that as my Excel you don't have on hand to confirm by your self my statements but you have the opotunity that for the kind of money you paid for that MSL or the Susurro you can buy at least 8 top vintage cartridges where you don't need to " see " back in the future cartridges.

There is a gentleman here in this forum ( I can't remember his moniker and I hope he can shime about. ) that owns all vintage LOMC cartridges that came with diamond cantilever/stylus including the Sony XL 88D that as the today  top limited edition Audio Technica was the only cartridge with diamond cantilever/stylus made by one piece. I never heard this Sony great cartridge performer and " only " heard the 88 D version with diamond cantilever and stylus as separates

That owner is anecdotic but I can send/post vintage LOMC cartridges that every MUSIC lover needs to listen/experience it before die. 

Yes, jitter is mis-tracking that any cartridge can avoid it.

Btw, next time you need help to fix a cartrudge you need to experience too Joseph Long who handled : Ogura, Nagaoka, Namiki, Gyger.

R.

Of course, i am experienced in Soundsmith work. ;-) more than a few times now. 

Hopefully we have helped the OP

@rauliruegas i believe you are thinking of Chackster.   buddy of mine just got a nice Vintage Grace from him…. certainly they knew what they were doing…. ha

@tomic601 Whatever happened to Chackster. I got the impression he was Russian. 

@rauliruegas Not Sussurro, Hyperion MR, the one with the cactus spine cantilever. MR stands for Micro Ridge. I do not know where Peter got this stylus from, but it has the most complex profile I have ever seen.   Check out the pictures in the link I left above. I have looked at other micro ridge styluses and they are not cut like this. Hopefully, I won't f-up any other cartridges, but I will keep Mr Long in mind. As far as cantilevers and styluses cut from one diamond I only know of the AT special edition. The MC Diamond has a separate diamond glued to the end of a diamond cantilever. It is a great cartridge, but I cannot say there is any advantage in a diamond cantilever over boron, ruby or cactus spine. Raul, I have examined enough styluses from Grado, MSL, Lyra, Ortofon, AT, Soundsmith, Koetsu, Denon , Grace and Sumiko to know they are all capable of having a bad day in any number of ways.  QC is never perfect.