Amp — Leave on or turn off

I always turned my Benchmark AHB2 amp off after use every night. After all, why is there an on off switch on the front panel if not to do that? Last night I accidentally left it on. This morning, when I played my first record, I couldn’t believe my ears. The same record I played last night sounded infinitely better. I tried a second record and that, too, was much better.
I know there’s a debate on the question of leaving an amp on all the time.
I now know where I stand!

128x128rvpiano

Contrary to some other comments about power cycling, that’s not the main issue with solid-state amps.

@aball What’s your evidence to support this? Steve McCormack advises to leave his amps on (again, not Class A SS amps) to the point when they do their amp upgrades they decouple the power switch so it’s just attached to a dummy light so the wife knows it’s on. If it’s plugged in, it’s on. My McCormack amp was powered on 24/7 for 20 years with no problems other than a fuse, which is pretty damn strong evidence. It defies logic/common sense that constantly cycling electronic components from cold to warm doesn’t put stress and wear on them.  And what makes you smarter than Steve McCormack?

Leave it on.  Caps in many amps take time to charge up fully and give best sound.  I had a pair of Odessey monos with over 220 thousand uF.  I found them difficult to listen to even after being on for an hour.  I just left them on 24/7 after that and there was an obvious change for the better in sound quality.

Pass Labs told me recently, that there would be no issues with leaving high power Class A mono blocks turned fully on 24/7...would not shorten life or lead to repairs...I tend to turn mine on Thursday afternoon, off Sunday night, though maybe not in summer...agree there is no right answer, but a combination of manufacturer recommendation and your own ears and values...

The light bulb analogy is often used but it is not applicable IMO.  All equipment I have owned has soft start circuitry to prevent damage on start up.  Becoming an urban myth?  I will only speak for my own equipment.  The manufacturer specifically recommends turning their equipment off when not in use.  Who am I to argue with them?  I turn my SS equipment on +/- 2 hours prior to listening.  I have never noticed the sound to be lacking, or improving noticeably as the evening goes on.  Everyone should do what suits them.  This is a discussion that will never be settled as there is no right or wrong.  Anyone keeping score?   😆     

When I asked this question on Google, it said this is  almost a religious issue.

Probably shouldn’t have brought it up.