Turntable Cartridge upgrade question.

Hi guys

I currently run Ortofon 2M Black cartridge that is MM type. 

what would be step up to MC type cartridges in price range $1200 that would be way better than 2M Black ?

Thank you for input ahead!

128x128ssg308

Not too many years past I attended a event where both enthusiasts and commercial entities are able to demonstrate their systems under one roof.

It is an interesting event as the commercial interaction is very very different to the interaction with an enthusiast showing their home system.

I specifically went to experience Vinyl Sources and was keen to pick up on new Cart's.

The MC's were the objective, after a few demo's in the commercial rooms I dropped into a few enthusiasts spaces, one such room allured me back on a few occasions during the day, no matter how I tried to undo what was happening the reality was the enthusiast Ceramic Cart' costing approx' £30, well that what I paid for my one following the show. The Cart' was the most attractive Cart' heard by myself on the day. 

I also now have a Spare Styli, these Cart's today and Styli are as rare as Rocking Horse DoDo. I will preserve this as my final Cart' to be used, even though the Spare Styli is already agreed with a rebuild service to put a Beryllium or Boron Cantilever with New Ogura Styli on it.  Vintage does do well with a little injection of the new world.

Why not upgrade from the 2M Black to an Ortofon Quintet Black S? You'll get refinement across the board, including greater detail retrieval, and can have confidence you're getting a quality cartridge that is backed with reliable and high-quality construction and support.

I'm not interested to just change the cartridge, I'm interested to improve sound quality. I have cheap ($7K) table with $600 cartridge so the question is does $1200 cartridge makes big enough difference to bother.

Your problem is the Ortofon Black is really a fantastic cartridge for $$$$ i would echo @nekoaudio excellent input to move up the Ortofon line into the moving coils. i’ve never heard a Mani 2, so i can’t comment on its ability to resolve differences between the two very different cartridges….

Best to you on your journey ! enjoy the music

@ssg308 yes, moving from the MM 2M Black to the MC Quintet Black S will provide a noticeable improvement in sound quality. I expect you will be able to immediately hear the improvement through your Mani 2.