Cable Break In for the Naysayers

I still cannot believe that in this stage of Audio history there are still many who claim cable break in is imagined. They even go so far as claim it is our ears that break in to the new sound. Providing many studies in the way of scientific testing. Sigh...

I noticed such a recent discussion on the What’s Best Forum. So here is my response.

______________________________________________________________________________________________ I just experienced cable break in again firsthand. 10 Days ago, I bought a new set of the AudioQuest Thunderbird XLR 2M interconnects.

First impression, they sounded good, but then after about 30 hours of usage the music started sounding very closed in and with limited high frequencies. This continued until about 130 hours of music play time.

Then at this time, the cables started to open up and began to sound better and better each passing hour. I knew at the beginning they would come around because they sounded ok at first until the break in process started. But now they have way surpassed that original sound.

Now the soundstage has become huge with fantastic frequency extensions. Very pleased with the results. Scientifically I guess we can’t prove cable break in is real, but with good equipment, good ears, it is clearly a real event.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

There have been some very good posts on both sides of the question.

From this discussion, If I had not heard the difference before/after breakin I too might (maybe) have been convinced that cables do not break in. Afterall it’s just wire and insulation?

But this phenomenon is real to me, as I have experienced equipment and cabling break in too many times in my 50+ years in this hobby.

However, it does seem that AudioQuest cables are especially sensitive to break in. My Dragon power cords were also quite dramatically changed after break in.

BTW, my system is posted on my systems page.

ozzy

"I just experienced cable break in again firsthand."

I suggest changing "experienced" to "perceived".

@ozzy I am with you on cable break in and WTS, I believe that our ears/brain adapting is also part of the process. Enjoy the music

Congratulations @ozzy 

I hope to someday get new PC’s, but first I’m saving for a better streamer.

it’s a bit disturbing that, even today, there are self-identified audiophiles who ridicule those who hear differences between cables. This issue, frankly, was settled long ago.

In fact, there was a study published in MIT’s Electronic Music Journal back in, I think, the 1980s or 1990s, that documented cable-comparison testing with a double-blind methodology. I remember scanning that piece & probably could dig it up today if I had to.

The study found that that some participants could easily distinguish among cables, but others had trouble. One anonymous tester (identified only by initials "JA" (!) ) scored 100% on all tests. Better than five-zero confidence, right?

In my case, two of the three most dramatic changes to my system in the last 20 years were due to major cable upgrades -- once interconnects, once power cables. These were "quantifiable" differences to the extent that, with the old cables, I could point to the specific locations of clearly defined images around the room. After swapping in the new cables, the soundstage broadened so significantly that the images in the same recordings moved to new locations. This was repeatable and not a subtle effect. Other cable upgrades in my system, however, produced no effect that I could hear, at least before break-in.

In all these examples, the point is that not hearing a difference isn’t conclusive evidence either way of the fact that cables can matter (there could easily -- even likely -- be weaker links in the audio chain), but hearing a difference does.

My personal opinion, and again this is based mostly on "mere" personal experience, is that those who still cling to the "cables don’t matter" faith-based belief are either sufferring from confirmation error or drawing unwarranted conclusions from ad hoc comparisons.

My 2c.