Furman Upgrade to Niagra

I remember ready an article some time ago by @erik_squires on 110v power and him recommending these as a good place to start, so I bought a couple of: https://furmanpower.com/product/15a-6-outlet-surge-suppressor-strip/

I recall him saying to use one bank for analogue and the other for digital. Well, I have no analogue gear, so I just use all the outlets as needed.

What would an Audioquest Niagra 3000 or even the Niagra 1200 do for my system over and above my simple power strips, would the large monetary investment be a substantial beneficial to my system over my pair of PST-6s? Thanks.

128x128navyachts

@navyachts, I have 2 dedicated 20-amp circuits for my audio system and both circuits are connected to  Shunyata Hydra 4 power conditioner.  Shunyata conditioners do NOT limit current, and it is advisable to plug your amp into them.  My system is extremely quiet, and the dynamics are off the wall.

OP:

I recommend SMP and LiFT as must-haves and the least expensive unit with that is the PST-8. Beyond that, the Elite 15 PF (or 20 PF) adds things like power factor correction and multiple separate power banks and switched outlets, which are great when used with a processor and extra amps. That’s what I use.

If you know you have unsteady power a unit with voltage regulation can also be considered but they are a significant extra charge as it requires a big heavy transformer. It will keep your AC voltage within a tight 7V range except in the worst of circumstances. I lived in a complex with 130 VAC (long story) and the regulator kept me between 118 and 122VAC.

Honestly if the PST-8 has the necessary outlets for you it’s an excellent choice for simple systems.

I have a dedicated circuit and my system benefited from a Niagara 7000. My amp, however, sounds better plugged directly into the wall. Ensure your best cable runs between the wall and conditioner. 

I own both the Furman pst-8 and the Niagara 1200. Both are great. Garth Powell of audioquest actually designed them both. He used to be employed by furman. There is a pst-8d that cators to digital. I also use the AQ nrg Edison 20 amp receptacle. It’s connected to a 20 amp dedicated circuit utilizing 12 awg romex. My choice of AQ cables include the z3, thunder, and x3 power cords. Speaker cable is the venerable AQ type 4 (2 pairs for biwire). System comprised of Sugden a21 se signature and tannoy legacy eatons.