What’s the best DAC < 6k (system specific)

I have a decent DAC built into my SS integrated amp but think I can do better with a stand-alone. I’m looking for accuracy, definition and sound stage. Emphasis on sound stage. I have few vinyl albums and find that the ones that sound really good are quite expensive. So, trying to improve the streaming to it brings or approximates that magical HQ vinyl sound. Maybe I’m chasing a red herring but, from what I read, there are some boxes out there that can come darn close. Has anyone compared the Holo May KTE with the T+A DAC 200 or similarly priced products? I know the T+A is a little more but I don’t mind used too. I went from Border Patrol SEi to Ayre Codex to Ayre QB9 Twenty. When I changed my Pass Int 60 amp to one with built in DAC, I thought it sounded better than the QB 9. Actually the QB 9 had more detail than the amp DAC. However, Using the new amp’s (Hegel 590) DAC bypass, to my ear, the QB9 is somewhat fatiguing during extended sessions so, I’m using the smoother, marginally less detailed Hegel built in DAC. There are no places to demo equipment near me so, I have heretofore depended on forums such as this for decisions, of wihich have been very satisfactory thus far. I love pure jazz sounds like the guitar plucked from the fingers of Bill Frisell and John Schofield; the edgy sound of a tenor saxophone; the sultry female voices of Melody Gardot, Chantal Chamberlain and others. Enjoy classic rock as well.

My system:

Hegel 590 Integrated Amp+DAC

digital streamer pis Innuos Zenith MK3 with Innous Phoenix reclocker (strmg Qobuz)

analog is VPI Classic/Transfiguration Axia cart into Parasound JC3+
Magico A3 spkrs w/Audio Sensibility Statement cables.

I was using Audio Sensibility Statement silver interconnects for the QB 9 which I still have to use with a stand-alone.

I know that good sound is more often a matter of taste. However, I am still interested in the opinions of others in this forum and welcome yours if you have one.

Thanks in advance.

hysteve

A used Audio Research DAC 9, Berkeley Alpha 3 comes to mind. Should hit in the right price range. One of the ad vantages of the Audio Research is that it is going to sound a bit more analog and musical than most. 

I highly recommend a contemporary used DAC… in general if you can get into the $10K area by buying used your going to be getting in the next level up. No moving parts, so reliability of a great DAC is not going to be an issue.

That’s a good price range for a DAC.
To me the A3 are slightly dark sounding. Used Chord DAVE should be nice with these speakers. So are the the DACs recommended by @ghdprentice above. Check the ARC DAC for compatible with your streamer if you’re planning on using USB.
Bricasti M1SE or M1SE2 used are very good DACs. 
But I really think the DAVE will be a nice match with the Magico A3 as it will bring out a bit more detail and breath more life into the presentation. 

Everything you’re saying would seem to point to a tubed DAC. The ARC mentioned above would be a solid choice, add I’ll add that Lampizator would be another brand to check out along with Holo. Best of luck.

Look at a used Aqua Acoustics R2R DAC. I have the La Voce mk2 which was about $3200 a few years ago and it remains in my LR system. It is one of the best sounding DACs I have ever heard. R2R DACS=analogue sound