Vandersteen Treo vs 3A Sig as upgrade

I had my local dealer hook up a pair of Treos to demo them and left with a very mixed impression. I like the overall sound. They have a smoother, more refined and sophisticated midrange that the 3A Sigs can't match. I want that. But the bass was less defined and the top end was bright. The sibilance was very exaggerated - this was with CD. Is this the character of the Treo? Thanks!
wlutke
Ok, I'm going to cut and paste your system and let's take if from there as you have some good bones. This thread is still about Treo's still. I've heard Treo's with electronics that are considered HOT...very hot on the upper end and they still didn't sound out of control hot like most others do with this particular amp. I couldn't listen for more than an album, but that was better than getting up after the first cut or two (Ask Johnny, I can't handle unnatural highs at all).

Let's do this as you asked for help and that's what I'd love to do for you:

I have an Aries 3 turntable with JMW 10.5i tonearm.
I bought it new 7-8 years back.

I would like to upgrade the tonearm any suggestions ?
I use a Dynavector XX-2 Cartridge and I'll spend up to $3500 new or used.

I like the sound with the 10.5i but will upgrading the tonearm improve the sound ?

As time goes on I listen to more vinyl , almost every night.
Would it be better to purchase a used turntable with tonearm for $6000 ?

Thanks any input appreciated.

First off you have a fine TT and arm. Let's spend the money where it's best spent and that's on other components and cables. I still wonder what your electronics are. If you'd PM me or just post it here, that would help a great deal. The one thing about VPI is that they are pretty neutral sounding and that arm is a good arm. It's not a Rega (I find them very thin personally).

The Treo's need to be driven by an amp with some wallop behind them as do most speakers. Even highly efficient speakers need a lot of current (not watts necessarily). You say you want bass, you have to make sure your electronics can handle that.

Again, I'm sure you have decent electronics and if you need to change them out, I'm sure that's very easy. Heck, even a high powered NAD separate amp and pre amp can match well with Treo's. I've heard them together and you'd be SHOCKED as how good they sound. I'm very very serious hear folks. You don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get musical, emotional sound from these Treo's, however the better you get, the better they sound. To me, that's a very revealing and neutral speaker. Let's get you on track here and happy.
Ctsooner -

That is not my system or question. I'm not the OP.
Check my last response to the thread.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1396957550&openusid&zzWlutke&4&5
Oh, ok, that makes more sense, Sorry...:)
Nice set up if you ask me. I would make one recommendation for your system and that's to look into a cable that is more neutral like Audioquest or something like that. I made the switch and am so happy that I did. What cable did the dealer have on the VAndy system when he played them for you? I have found how important cables are the better my system gets. We all know that and we all talk about it, but we all too often we don't put cables into our system and listen. I did that. I bought AQ from Johnny (was all MIT for years and years with some Kimber thrown in) when I got my Treo's and I had some MIT top of the line stuff. I was in shock when I went back and forth. I also noticed that my MIT wasn't a bi wire and that made a HUGE difference also. I agree with Richard in that you must use a bi wire run of cable. Even using two lesser cables rather than one expensive cable makes a big difference, or at least it did in my own system. I also know that Richard really does use the AQ cables in his speakers. You can see this in his crossovers for the Quatro on up. There is a reason for this. I won't go into the physics involved, but when you have a first order, phase and time correct speaker the cables will make a huge difference. Possibly more so than other speakers. That's something that folks don't realize. I had a great conversation with AJ Conte of Basis about cables and passing phase and time correct signals. I understood about 10% of what he said, but man did it make sense, lol. I have heard the same thing from a couple of folks I had the pleasure meeting with my former dealer in RI (no names but think MIT, Kimber and Transparent after their nasty break with MIT). Not all cables, regardless of price or what dealers want to tell us, will pass the signals properly. Not saying Nordost doesn't at all, but I'm saying that AQ or even Basis cables will get you where you want to be. As long as you are getting one of the battery pack cables you are doing to be fine. The newest AQ cables for the price are KILLER I personally feel.

I'm going to sell my Treo's as I want to move up to the Quatro. Those are the sweet spot in the Vandy line for me as I want to tune the bass to my room. If you don't need to tune it to your room and you are happy with quality bass to the low 30's, then the Treo is killer and a world beater for the cost. There is a reason that you don't find many used Treo's on the market nd when you do, it's because we are moving up in the Vandy line. At least Richard helps us protect our investments, lol.
I do not own Treo
Have heard them a few times but not for a serious listen
I trust and believe in Richard, yes I am biased
had 3aSIG for a decade
Having a speaker let alone system that long can lead to a strong belief that is what it SHOULD sound like..
Went thru some soul searching to get 5a to sound more like 3a SIG ..but that was my journey.
Bless you on yours.
Your associated equip is stellar and in many cases hews to much of what MANY Vandy dealers would feel sounds great w Steens..

BTW Johhny I have Van Morrisons Blue Note release What's wrong with this picture on..yum !