High End System Building. How important is the matching, cabling and room? Thoughts ?

The last 20 years as an audiophile and now a dealer has taught me a very important lesson. Everything matters. The equipment can be great but no matter how much you spend the matching is very important. The cabling is also important. Some think cabling is all about making it sound better. I prefer my cabling to not get in the way. It’s like it can’t be a clogged faucet for your sound.  Materials and shielding are very important. In addition to that the room is very important. You may not have a perfect room but you build your system to work in the room you have. I don’t have all the answers but you can’t just spend money and have a great system. Combination of equipment, cabling and room has gotten me there. I’ve tried a lot of gear and cables and this is how I feel. What are your thoughts everyone? 

calvinj

@bigkidz +1 I agree. There are certain things that the electronics have to do that the room will not fix.  Some equipment just ain’t gonna get it done for some of us no matter what room it’s in. If it’s not properly matched it ain’t gonna work either. Regardless of the room 

Personally having owned a Audiostore fora decade lots of matching and experimentation and knowing the quality ,lots of cheating going around to make more $$. ,that being said cable brand that suits your taste as a loom I feel is important for very overlooked is the end connectors most use gold over Brass ,is 3 x less conductive meaning also that much more resistance , the quality ofthe conductor ,as well as dielectric ,Wire world Eclipse is a perfect example of a very well thought out cable not too expensive but does everything in build very well.

silver will give a bit more extension but at the expense of a bit of body and fullness 

your equipment character will dictate this since you have resistance ,inductance and capacitance ,keeping the same brand adheres to this formula , a different brand will change the same synergies , power cords are much more flexible.

@bigkidz +1 I agree. There are certain things that the electronics have to do that the room will not fix.  Some equipment just ain’t gonna get it done for some of us no matter what room it’s in. If it’s not properly matched it ain’t gonna work either. Regardless of the room 

@bigkidz @jayctoy the whole reason we give people free demos is so they can try stuff and hear it for themselves with no obligation to purchase. You get to decide does it work for you in your system. Coming from just a regular audiophile to a dealer I felt like people should try it in their systems. That way you not in the blind as an audiophile I hated that.  You get a 15 day demo to decide for yourself. That’s why when people make certain statements I ignore them because most won’t let you try before you buy I do cable wise. 

My "listening room" (such as it is) is small and highly flawed (and if it isn't highly flawed it is only because of total luck) and by everything I have read, the level of my electronics totally exceeds the acoustic capabilities of the room.  However, there is certain (digital) source material that absolutely shines, and in the dark with my eyes closed the sound stage prevails and the room disappears.  

On the other hand, I have rolled tubes that were completely "blah" and I have source material that is flat as a board.  My last upgrade was a preamp and I lost some warmth but I gained air and detail. 

I would think that if it ALL comes down to the room, and that without the room, NOTHING else matters, I wouldn't hear the difference between tubes that I like and those that I don't like and lifeless source material versus some of my better sounding SACDs and red-book CDs.