Best Options For A Tubed Preamp - $2500 Or Less, Preferably Used To Maximize Value

As the title says, I'm interested in your thoughts on what are the ebst options for a tube based preamp, $2500 or under. I generally buy used to maximize what I can get. Definitely prefer a warmer sound signature, but not to the degree where details and impact are lost. 

What are the best values out there, in this price range, in your opinion? Any expertise, perspectives and experience greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

nightfall

I recently discovered an icon Audio LA4 Mk 111 which I bought used for just over $1000. I swapped out the EH tubes with Shuguang Black Treasures and the sound was amazing. I am now using it to replace a very well reviewed pre which cost 6X as much. The icon represents real audio value but it is RCA only so no use if you are committed to XLR connections.

OP,

The importance of matching fully balanced and single ended components depends on the specific components and on where your overall system is. Typically, especially with really high end components like Audio Research, the difference is minuscule to non-existent compared with the advantage of the component sound. I would unhesitatingly recommend the preamp connected to a non balanced amp. When your system is just about at the pinnacle of perfection annd your splitting hairs… it still might not make a difference. Importantly, Audio Research and Conrad Johnson ant the like are designed to be incredibly musical and sound great regardless of the connection you use. 

Plus 1 @ghdprentice 

Audio Research has a really warm sound. I saw an LS28 that sold for $3250 a couple of weeks ago.

All the best.

If you can think outside the box of mainstream audiophile tube preamps, you should check out space tech Labs. The designer will answer the phone and ask questions about your current equipment and your sound preferences, then will design around that information.