Best Options For A Tubed Preamp - $2500 Or Less, Preferably Used To Maximize Value

As the title says, I'm interested in your thoughts on what are the ebst options for a tube based preamp, $2500 or under. I generally buy used to maximize what I can get. Definitely prefer a warmer sound signature, but not to the degree where details and impact are lost. 

What are the best values out there, in this price range, in your opinion? Any expertise, perspectives and experience greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

nightfall

Ditto @hilde45  

deHavilland Ultraverve III is the best preamp I have owned by a large margin, bettering previous preamps from CJ, Aesthetix and BAT.  It responds wonderfully to tube rolling the 6SN7 tube (or 6F8G with an adaptor). 

Definitely spend money on a great preamp.   It is essential for good sound.   It's also the last place you want a bottleneck.

I had the privilege of owning a Zesto preamp  and it transformed my system.  More like transported it to another level.    I've always spent more on the preamp in my systems and never had any regrets.    

Do your homework on this one, your whole system revolves around the preamp.  You don't want to make a lateral move.  

Used can often put you in a component you could never have bought new.  

New. I would check out lab12 pre 1

I own a Primaluna Dialogue preamp and have enjoyed it, but haven’t had others mentioned in order to compare, like CJ or Audio Research. 

I recently discovered an icon Audio LA4 Mk 111 which I bought used for just over $1000. I swapped out the EH tubes with Shuguang Black Treasures and the sound was amazing. I am now using it to replace a very well reviewed pre which cost 6X as much. The icon represents real audio value but it is RCA only so no use if you are committed to XLR connections.