Does it bother you when you see inflated MSRP’s for used gear on AG?

Chances are if you’re looking at an ad you already know what it went for when new but I still find it annoying / irritating at best and dishonest at worst.  Moreover, it seems the trend is getting worse in terms of frequency and % of inflating original retail prices.  In some cases, (where applicable), a seller’s response usually revolve something like, “well, that is the current price” , not acknowledging that current models often have upgrades that would account, at least partially,  for the increase.    Am I the only one that is bothered by this?  Just curious.

russellrcncom

Perhaps the MSRP listed by some is adjusted for inflation? The same inflation we are told is minimal at most…. 🙄

I inquired about a trade-in for an amp I owned. I was quoted 100% of the current MSRP price even though my amp was bought before the price increases during COVID.

My takeaway is that this dealer plans to resell my amp relative to the current MSRP price.

It does bother me...I'm fine with paying a premium (relative to eBay or craigslist) for gear sold on the site, but I expect honesty from the seller even if I can do my own research. I will say that 90% of the agon buyers and sellers I've dealt with are straight.

listing hi legal

offering low legal

rite of seller and same for buyer.

good luck

Any used gear was manufactured in the past. Each sale makes the exisging ones more rare. The rarer valuable things become, the more the existing ones cost. What do you have to pay for a 1927 Siver Dollar? Considerably more than $1. Is this surprising? There is lots of fine new gear available now that will outperform the old sttuff. Spend wisely, enjoy the music!