Streamer question

I've looked and looked and can't find the answer to my question.

I use a Bluesound Node to stream both Spotify and Qobuz.  The Bluesound lets me use the web app that I downloaded to my Ipad to play music.

I want to upgrade, but I'm not seeing whether or not that is possible.  Most of the better streamers ($2000 or so) seem to have their own software which I would rather not use.

Anybody know the answer to this?

Thank you!

jzzmusician

@gkelly 

Hey, does the Pulse have a USB output to run to my DAC and does it work with Amazon HD?

Thanks.

@curiousjim don’t have the unit yet, so can’t say on that particular question about output. With the pulse mini, they only have Qobuz and title. So I am assuming that the entire lineup has the same options. When I spoke with a Innuos representative At the 2022 Pacific audio fest that he said that by Christmas they should have Amazon but that was last year still waiting. Feels like a Spotify story. Would like to have Amazon so I could listen to podcast once in a while. Problem is I spend way too much time, listening to and enjoying music to fit in any time to listen to some people’s responses out the side of their neck. 

jzzmusician, you say you are accessing the Spotify and Qobuz apps from your iPad and NOT from within the the BluOS app. That's sound like you are running the songs locally on the tablet and sending them to the Node through wifi. If I am correct, the streamer may not be the weak link in your chain.

And as others have stated, upgrading the Node can be a big step forward. I have a Node 130 that has an upgraded power supply and a clock upgrade (both done by Fidelity Audio). I am now demoing the Innuos Pulse streamer to compare the two. They are very close in my system. At this point, I only have one higher end ethernet cable and noise filter. So one streamer gets a more standard LAN cable and one gets the better cable/filter. Both are feeding a Grannyring modified Orchid DAC. The streamer with the better cable and filter always sounds just a little better. I am getting used to the Sense app, it works well and does everything I need it to do without issues. If I had a more analytical DAC I may hear more differences? But I may not be keeping the Pulse.

I have a similar set up: Node with upgraded TP LPS using internal DAC for MQA output to a Parasound pre via RCA for volume control. Despite all the controversy regarding MQA, Tidal can stream natively from its own app. I hate the BS software as well. I now use Roon which offers a ton of flexibility to stream from different music services. I own flac files from Qobuz and ripped CDs, and subscribe to Tidal.  Give Roon a try. It’s a cheap way to solve your UX problems.  The music stream visual is cool too.  Good luck. 

@jzzmusician it sounds like you’re using the Spotify Connect feature on the Spotify app and AirPlay on Qobuz app. Or the AirPlay feature on both Spotify and Qobuz apps. If that’s the case, you need a streamer that is AirPlay ready. One example would be Auralic. If I understood you correctly. If you AirPlay to your streamer you’re using your iPad to cast data to Bluesound as opposed to streaming from the Spotify or Qobuz servers directly. This method is sonically inferior to streaming directly from streaming services.
You can still access your Qobuz playlists thru the BluOS or Auralic or Lumin proprietary UIs by the way if you’re worried about loosing playlists. You can test this out with your bluesound app - you will need to login to qobuz from BluOS.