Which is better, a fussy speaker or a versatile one?

When rating speakers into the high and ultra-high-end (or ultra expensive?) what do you think makes a speaker better?

Take two speaker models, for about $400,000 a pair, and 800 lbs.  One requires an excellent room, super quiet amps while the other sounds great in a number of different acoustic environments and can be powered by modest amplification, and speaker cables don't seem to matter.

Which is truly the better speaker, and which would you rather live with?

erik_squires

A true audiophile would insist on high price and impracticality.  Actually, many of the custom horn systems I really like are sort of practical speakers.  They all sound great in small rooms and are extremely efficient (100+ db/w, typically 8-16 ohm nominal impedance).  The downside is mainly a large size and somewhat high cost (the best drivers are vintage and not cheap).

I would prefer a more versatile product. One the works well in my current environment and will accommodate  any changes in the chain.  I also prefer smaller listening rooms. 

If you have ever looked at Japanese audio magazines, you will see a lot of crazy looking setups in that large horns are crammed into very small apartments.  But, it makes sense in some respects--horns are very lively and engaging at quite low volume levels and the directivity of horns means that sound is concentrated in the listening area.  That actually minimizes the amount of sound bleeding into other apartments; the Japanese being very polite people try not to annoy their neighbors.

If you have ever looked at Japanese audio magazines, you will see a lot of crazy looking setups in that large horns are crammed into very small apartments.

I've seen some of them, enormous vintage JBL speakers that are 2' narrower than the wall the are put into.