Real or Surreal. Do you throw accuracy out the window for "better" sound?

I visited a friend recently who has an estimated $150,000 system. At first listen it sounded wonderful, airy, hyper detailed, with an excellent well delineated image, an audiophile's dream. Then we put on a jazz quartet album I am extremely familiar with, an excellent recording from the analog days. There was something wrong. On closing my eyes it stood out immediately. The cymbals were way out in front of everything. The drummer would have needed at least 10 foot arms to get to them. I had him put on a female vocalist I know and sure enough there was sibilance with her voice, same with violins. These are all signs that the systems frequency response is sloped upwards as the frequency rises resulting in more air and detail.  This is a system that sounds right at low volumes except my friend listens with gusto. This is like someone who watches TV with the color controls all the way up. 

I have always tried to recreate the live performance. Admittedly, this might not result in the most attractive sound. Most systems are seriously compromised in terms of bass power and output. Maybe this is a way of compensating. 

There is no right or wrong. This is purely a matter of preference accuracy be damn.  What would you rather, real or surreal?

128x128mijostyn

frogman, you are a musician, so you got almost everything wrong. Music is first of all mathematics not art in a usual sense.

There is no music without sound. Sound is the foundation. Silence also sounds.

Neither sound is in the service of music nor music is in the service of sound. That one was beyond wrong. It's a different system.

You are romantic, and this one is good.

I have not heard of any SS amp unquestionably better than top Boulder. 

If I win a lottery I won't give anyone a cent. Even less likely will I subsidize any school. They will learn nothing there, anyway, waist of time and effort. I will buy Berlin Philharmonic along with the concert hall. I guess, for that I must win big lottery. I don't need London orchestra or any other.

Music does not have to be a sound.  It could be an idea in someone's mind (A STEVIE WONDER REFERENCE) or notes on a page.  Furthermore, in the right context, any sound can be music.  Even 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence is music.

You should be able to enjoy the music you like on pretty crappy systems.  Think table radios or car systems.  Music you like can still sound exciting on these systems.  Will you enjoy it more on a better system? Of course, but at some minimum level of fidelity you should be able to relate to what the artists are doing.

And yes, I agree education is a waist of time.

My analytical brain’s been driving my preference for too many years. I’m bored and not enjoying my HIFI.  Please tell me what speakers u fellas are using.  

@onhwy61 

I think the best reference for that would be Beethoven. You are right. Most of the time I am listening to music it is on the shop system which, although not terrible it is not near what is in the media room. My toe taps just the same. 

Education is not a waste of time. That is a horrific thing to say, but worse is bad education, indoctrination. Too many minds are trapped in rubbish. Too many children are told they have to be X while their talents lie in Y.  Zappa had it right. You do not need a school to get educated. 

@alfa100 

I suggest you get this record by Primus, Green Naugahyde and turn it up. You may want to get high first. This should fix the boredom, now tell me how much you have to spend.