Class D amplifiers. What's the future look like?

I have a number of amplifiers: Luxman C900U, Bryston 4BSST2, Audio Research VSI 60 Integrated, NAD C298 and some other less noteworthy units. As I swap them in and out of my main system, I've come to the conclusion my very modest NAD C298 is about all I really need. Granted if I had extremely hard to drive speakers, I might be better with the Bryston or Luxman, but driving my Harbeth 40.2 speakers, the NAD is just fine. 

I thought a while ago that class D would quickly overtake amplifier design type mainly due to profit margin which I think would be much greater than A/B and tube. I'm not saying the other design styles would go away, just that D would be the most common style. 

Clearly my prediction is not panning out, at least in the mid and high-end audio world and I'm wondering why? It seems companies such as Bryston, Luxman, McIntosh, Hegel and so many others are sticking by A/B. I'm no "golden ears" guy, but is the perceived sound issue(weather real or imaginary) still holding D back? Maybe my assumption of profit margin is not correct? Maybe the amplifier manufacturers are experimenting with D, but keeping tight lipped until release? Perhaps brand loyalists don't want change similar to what happened with "new coke". What else am I missing?

128x12861falcon

From the Design Group that did the LSA Warp-1 and the new Emerald Physics EP-600.2SE… we think these $99.50 Wireless, Streaming Mono Blocks are pretty cool.

We like Class D :)

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/vera-fi-audio-vera-link/?fbclid=IwAR1agDIO1KOf91D5Psn0sN2lxe_z0xrCvg5E-245NOtcvHLtvE8wRBiidB0

Built for Music and loads of Fun!

There are class D designs using Gan transistors and custom analog and digital sections with top power supplies some $20-$30k 

Avik, Merrill audio   I think even  Mark Levenson , Roland Research 

all have very good products ,these are a cut above at a much higher $ cost.

It depends on what you are looking for in sound quality.  I would love to design a Class D amplifier that outperforms our Class A mono blocs but so far we cannot.  No even close.  BUT sound quality depends on the design, implementation and parts quality for the component.  We have a listening room in Northern New Jersey and everyone is welcome to come and bring their gear in to hear in our systems.  We do enjoy the company and meeting new people and are always willing to learn.

Happy Listening.

I remember, not all that long ago....

"Class D? Not worth a sh*t...."

My, how that’s changed...*s*

I’d like to see an amp designed along the lines of my distribution amp, but laid out on the ’style’ of adding a card in a puter....

Want another channel? A pair? More power?

'Dial-able' power?  4 linked as a monoblock?!

Buss line switchable to discrete inputs....Independent or mated line level....2>16 ohm outputs...dial up the ’response characteristic’ you’d prefer with the mating pre....

Start from there and dream up the next class... ;)

Complain about that for awhile, Then....😏 ...begin to stop ’dissing’ that....

Yup....'tis....;)

They will go the way of cd players, in ten years no one will need them. Ralph and others perhaps have some time to cash in. He does not prefer his class D to his and many others tube amps. He won't fool me.

@inna I don't think if I was trying to fool people that I would last very long- things like that have a way of being found out. There's a very simple way to tell if I've been straight up 😉