Parasound vs Coda

All,

I've been doing a lot of research into moving up from my current amplifier (Parasound JC5) and have scoured comparisons of Parasound to Pass Labs and others that I've been considering. Speakers are Focal Kanta 3s, Pass XP22, Lumin U1, Denafrips Terminator Plus. The setup sounds great as is but would be interested in an amp that offers a bit more refinement in the midrange and treble. Coda from all my research could fit that goal.

One comparison I haven't found has been users who've heard Parasound and Coda amps (I'm considering the Coda 16 or possibly 8) and would love to hear about what others have heard as far as preference, tonality differences, etc. Thank you in advance!

christianb5s4

Destination HiFi is about an hour from me, so it's definitely worth a drive up there if I can make time.

@reg19 If you have a minute, curious about what you liked on the JC1+ over the other reputable options you tried? 

Admittedly, I am a Coda fanboy.  I currently own Boulder 2050, Krell KAS and listen to Gryphon Solos (sold Pass XS 300 and ML 33H).  I will not part with my Coda "class A" amp.  Doug Dale has always been great to work with, like Pass, top notch customer service.

Jose.

@christianb5s4 JC1+ is bigger, fuller, faster sound with better bass.
My speakers are the Maestro Utopia III. The X260.8 are sort of sufficient for Jazz. However, if you want to listen to classical, you need JC1+ with these speakers - or spend $30k more for something more substantial - perhaps Gryphon monos - whatever they cost.

I also like the low gain (23dB) option in the JC1+. I use it in low gain, high bias mode paired with a nice tube preamp.

One note with the JC1+ - they need good power cords. With Pass Labs or with McIntosh, I did not need anything more than stock cords (or, at least, the difference between stock and premium cords was minimal). With JC1+, stock cords give me a bit of a digital, 2D sound. Using AQ Hurricanes, I get a very musical, ‘organic’ presentation with a lot of depth - just the way I like it.

@reg19 Thank you for the feedback, that's really helpful. I have been on the lookout for JC1+ for sale but interestingly, haven't seen many as of late. Coda is still high on my list too.

I also agree with the power cord note, I upgraded the stock JC5 cord and it made a difference. The biggest difference however was adding multiple dedicated 20amp circuits, it was pretty stunning honestly.

Not exactly an answer to your specific comparison question, but I owned the Focal Sopra 2's for a few years and used it with Bob Carver Raven M350 tube mono blocks. These amps put out 350 WPC and to me was a very good match for the Focal's. 

ozzy