Does someone’s opinion affect your opinion?

So I have a very nice turntable with a new MC cartridge which I liked and enjoyed…that is until someone said that the cartridge was very “piercing” and in his opinion almost unlistenable. Now I find I am not enjoying it as much. Two things to add, he is not anymore “golden ear” than me, and the brands are well known with good reviews. 
But now, I don’t enjoy it as much. I know I shouldn’t let it bother me, but it does and it has impacted my enjoyment.

So, has this happen to you and what did you do? 

128x128deadhead1000

Hello deadhead1000.  Just realize that at least half the people you talk to have very little experience and don't know what they are talking about. I started building speakers at age 10. I have over 70 years experience. I sold stereo gear for a living to 19+ years. I have paid attention to preserving my senses. I have the ears of a much younger man (and he upset about it!). I do read  reviews (look for a full page ad nearby - draw the obvious conclusion). Realize that "If you are in the market for a speaker at this price point be sure to give it listen," means it's a dud. If the reviewer bought the evaluation sample, pay attention. Many salsemen work on commision. Steve Guttenburg, I consider a reliable source. Any magazine is in business to sell magazines. And . . . no two people ear the same thing. Our ear shapes are unique, not to mention our brains. And . . . experts insist 20% of all people have some form of mental illness, Like what you like. Person X doesn't like your cartridge, he probably doesn't like your wife either. Would you swap wives with him? 

If I thought someone’s system sounded "piercing" I’d be well-mannered enough, I hope, to hide my opinion. Imagine your friend prefers the warmest and richest of cartridges, even at the expense of detail. He persuades you to replace your "piercing" cartridge, which you like and enjoy, with one like his. Would you, could you be happy then?

Your system is for your enjoyment. His tastes will be different to yours, inevitably. Enjoy your cartridge and ignore what might be right for him.

Opinions given about the best products should be seriously discounted because anyone with audio experience under their belt should know that there are so many variables that no one solution will be best for even a minority of people.

Opinions about how to find a solution that is right for you should be given serious consideration.

It is quite common for individuals with a certain preference to have a leaning toward a certain range of the produced frequency.

I have been at demo's of equipment with the designer/Director of one of the UK's very well known Audio Companies. What is apparent from their assessments is that they are High Frequency Sensitive, I am Bass Sensitive.

When assessments are encouraged, I am stating the Bass is anaemic, and the other is stating the Treble is very projected.

I have no recollection of the High Frequency being very noticeable, but that could be a result of where I was seated during the demo' of that particular audio item.

Thinking a bit further, if given multiple opinions, do you give the latest ones (in more recent memory) more weight? Obama was rumored to have this habit.