Are higher end preamps worth the investment when you are only streaming Tidal & Spotify ?

Amp: Modwright 150SE

Speakers: Aerial Acoustics 7T

Streamer/DAC/ : NAD C658

With the goal of achieving higher fidelity, would a 10k -12k MSRP preamplifier be overkill when you only stream from Tidal or Spotify? Do higher end preamplifier applications mostly apply to vinyl and /or high end transports vs subscription streaming?

puffbojie

A preamp will bring life to your system.

Don't believe me, ask Paul McGowan.

Bob

Tidal and Qobuz on a great streamer and DAC sound better than most CDs because most CDs are played on a CD player with internal DAC.

Now if you’re doing CD right, with a good CD transport to your same DAC, they are likely hard to tell apart.

Jerry

@puffbojie

NAD C658 DAC Streamer is really a weak link but the DIRAC feature really helps with my room. I might have to get a stand-alone room correction device in order to update the streamer and Dac as the NAD does not allow you to disengage the DAC from what I understand.

I looked for some photos/measurements of your room to see if I could figure out why you needed room equalization, but no photos. I don’t know if I should ask you why you think that you need room equalization, or question myself as to why I think that I don’t need room equalization.

A new (to me) preamp made me realize my system was much better than I thought it was. Best decision I've ever made in audio.

Regards,

Dan

I'm not sure you need to spend $10K. In my opinion the AT7 QS Line Stage gives me definite improvement for my PSAudio DSD. I would never be without it streaming of otherwise.