break-in for Marantz SA-7S1

I just bought a new Marantz SA-7S1. It has 60 hours of break-in on it at this point. So far it's not bad, but it's not all that captivating either. I've heard it takes awhile to break in. I'd like to hear from other owners how long theirs took to break in, and more importantly what the difference was once is was broken in. Thanks!
tinear1
In the mod process I've always aimed for increased resolution and transparency(clarity) for RBCD. I've found that what is described as "ruthless" or "analytic" clarity is invariably some deficiency in the engineering of the CDP that when resolved, obtains both higher resolution AND increased sense of warmth, liquidity, smoothness, refinement, relaxation, and realism. The effect is to make both well-recorded and less well-recorded RBCD more realistic & listenable-- not to exaggerate the "flaws" of RBCD. In fact, things have evolved to the point that treble of RBCD is more resolving and sweeter than vinyl in my system.

Mrtennis, we are not too far apart geographically. If you ever feel the urge to test your paradigm about coloration, feel free to bring either Marantz player by for a comparison. I have both modded and stock versions of SCD-1/777ES on hand, and it's easy to compare them to each other and to Marantz and also to swap from active to passive analog sections on the fly in the modded unit, in order to demonstrate how much is lost when you soften the treble and bass by switching out active SS buffers to reveal the "purer" signal path of passive transformer outputs. A demonstration such as this decisively shows the importance of PRAT in making RBCD convincing. I made a direct comparision awhile back to an SA-1, and determined that what was most missing with that Marantz was a sense of dynamic sweep and macrodynamic scale. It's a listenable but merely polite player. I have not heard the SA7S1.
hi dgarretson:

i would welcome the opportunity to compare cd players. i own a stock 11s2. i live in nassau county. how far are you from manhattan ?

thanks.

i agree that subtraction = loss. however, a slightly out-of-focus presentation sounds more like the real thing, as compared to most stereo systems.
"A slightly out-of-focus presentation sounds more like the "real thing, as compared to most stereo systems."

Once again I agree with you MRT, that's why I suggest that our hobby is about the creation of a desirable 'hyperreality', not so much a replication of physical reality.

G.
In the interest if not disparaging this lovely player unfairly, my first comments were after an inappropriately short break-in period. I left it alone for awhile, and listened again today after about 200 hours burn-in, and it is much enjoyable. I’d describe it as opening up, where it was ‘tight’ before (credit to a fellow audiogoner for finding this way to describe what I was originally hearing). Now it’s not calling attention to itself at all in that something special is happening, it’s just sounds balanced with no flaws. You can get into listening for new details if you want, or just kick back and enjoy the music. I’m listening to Filter #1 for CD (I haven’t listened to SACD yet but have a few first SACD’s on order), which seems to have the widest soundstage and be the least etched. It’s still not entirely seductive, but I believe my Krell KCT preamp is somewhat responsible for that (I replaced my ARC LS26 to get better bass when used in conjunction with my Krell 400cx and a CAST connection, and now I have killer bass but a less involving overall sound). I hear you need 300+ hours before the SA-7S1 is broken in (and 1,000 hours to sound its best), so if it’s going to sound even better I will be a very happy guy. I can live with what I have at this point quite easily, and will report back after more break-in.