MM Cartridge to MC Cartridge

Hi All. First post. I’m thinking about moving from a MM cartridge to an MC cartridge. I hesitate a bit, because about a year ago I moved from an inexpensive MM cartridge to an expensive MM cartridge and noticed little difference. My vinyl system consists of:

Rega Planar P3 with Rega Exact Mk 2 cartridge 

McIntosh MP100 phono preamp

McIntosh MA252 integrated amp

Budget is less than $1k. Thinking Rega Ania MC cartridge because reviews are positive and install easy.

Do you think this change will be worthwhile? Suggestions?

-Doug

prufrock28

Absolutely not! Reviews are always positive. You are for better off going for a good MM cartridge than a cheap MC. Get an Ortofon 2M Black LVB version. It will be a noticeable improvement but don't expect to be bowled over. To do better with an MC cartridge you would have to spend $3000 plus.

@williewonka : you are right about matching the cartridge compliance with the arm mass. Low compliance needs a heavier arm. High compliance needs a lighter arm. This relates to the resonance frequency of the arm/cartridge combination - ideally below 10 hz..

@mijostyn : I disagree that one must spend thousands for a good sounding mc cartridge! The venerable DL103 wouldn't have held its esteemed status among audiophiles if it didn't sound good! Of course the higher-priced Denon MC's offer a more refined sound! 

The OP can consider the Grado moving-iron cartridges. The new Prestige series starting at $79 and up is worth checking out!

To do better with an MC cartridge you would have to spend $3000 plus

My $600 Denon 103 modified by soundsmith will give most $3000 carts a run for their money. It equaled a Van Den Hul cart in every way.

I stopped looking once I  bought it

Regards, Steve